Author Topic: BBQ Roaster  (Read 1993 times)

Charly

Re: BBQ Roaster
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:05 AM »
It's got me by all these years but I know damn well that there are high heat resistant bearings somewhere that would hold the rod straight and steady.
Have you thought about ceramic bearings? I know they are high heat resistant and designed for harsh environments.

I just googled ceramic bearings and they do look good. Thanks!
   Charly

donn

Re: BBQ Roaster
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
I'll see about getting a rod that goes straight through the drum instead of two that go  about 4" into the drum from each side.

That sounds like a good idea to me, huge structural upgrade if I understand what you're saying.

The grease I use, by the way, is Petro-Gel - bought a tube for use with my espresso machine, and it looks like that tube is going to be a lifetime supply so I use it for other things as well.  A dab two or three times a year is all it takes to prevent squeaking.  No smoke.  My spit has a square cross-section, by the way, though the edges are not sharp.  I might have had to file out the rotisserie spit notch in the grill on one side or the other, can't remember for sure.

Someday I'm going to buy a big dead animal carcass and try that rotisserie for its intended application (I'm more of a vegetarian type normally.)  Seems like that would be more challenging than roasting coffee - heavy, poorly balanced load, longer roast time.