Author Topic: A friend's propane brewer  (Read 798 times)

Tex

A friend's propane brewer
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
Primus Brewfire Gas-Powered Camping Coffee Maker

We're going fishing this weekend and I asked if he wanted me to bring a coffee maker. He told me he'd just bought one of these for his boat and wanted my opinion. Hopefully he won't notice that I'll be bringing a toolbox along so I can take it apart for a look-see?

Anyone here ever tried a propane powered coffee brewer?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: A friend's propane brewer
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
I've used one of these before:

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
I use the same skillet for coffee and breakfast. The first thing I use it for is boiling water to serve a Hario dripper to a steel carafe. Depending on the number of people on hand, I sometimes brew it quite strong, then boil a second pan of water to dilute everyone's first cup AND the then-partially-emptied carafe of strong brew. I then do the fresh hash browns/egg/bacon thing, two persons per batch.

The trend in my own use of equipment when in the boonies is to use one thing for multiple purposes. Of course, I'm doing tent camping in canoes, where minimalism really helps. Folks with RVs and pop-ups and the like can sanely carry more gear.

I did abandon my decades-old SVEA 123 -- which is unacceptably unstable for my needs for small group river outings (though it was fine in my youthful days of winter camping and backpacking) -- for the Korean type stove. There are myriad manufacturers/vendors -- this one is representative. Safe, practical, usable even at home for table-top cooking (lots of cool accessories for these in Korean stores).

Tex

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
I use the same skillet for coffee and breakfast. The first thing I use it for is boiling water to serve a Hario dripper to a steel carafe. Depending on the number of people on hand, I sometimes brew it quite strong, then boil a second pan of water to dilute everyone's first cup AND the then-partially-emptied carafe of strong brew. I then do the fresh hash browns/egg/bacon thing, two persons per batch.

The trend in my own use of equipment when in the boonies is to use one thing for multiple purposes. Of course, I'm doing tent camping in canoes, where minimalism really helps. Folks with RVs and pop-ups and the like can sanely carry more gear.

I did abandon my decades-old SVEA 123 -- which is unacceptably unstable for my needs for small group river outings (though it was fine in my youthful days of winter camping and backpacking) -- for the Korean type stove. There are myriad manufacturers/vendors -- this one is representative. Safe, practical, usable even at home for table-top cooking (lots of cool accessories for these in Korean stores).

When you're in a 40' boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico it's difficult, at best, to pour water; and it can be downright painful if it's boiling water.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

When you're in a 40' boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico it's difficult, at best, to pour water; and it can be downright painful if it's boiling water.

If you have a captain who's worthy of any stripes he can put the boat on a course to calm the prevailing waves for a bit.  Oh wait, you are one of those land crabs.... nebber minds

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!