Author Topic: Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Makers  (Read 2174 times)

milowebailey

Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Makers
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
I'm looking for a coffeemaker for the boat.  Something stainless that makes good coffee.  I have a coffee pot and plastic pour-over, but space is really limited, so I'm thinking something different.

Has anyone used one of the Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Makers?  I'm thinking this one would be great.

BoldJava

Re: Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Makers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
I'm looking for a coffeemaker for the boat.  Something stainless that makes good coffee.  I have a coffee pot and plastic pour-over, but space is really limited, so I'm thinking something different.

Has anyone used one of the Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Makers?  I'm thinking this one would be great...

Yes, I used Bialettis, to include that specific one for about two years.  Mokka pots deliver a rich, "big" cup.  Downside?  The cup is muddled -- takes a structured cup and makes flavors indistinguishable.

BJava

Tex

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:31 AM »
I use that one to make my Cajun café au lait. It's fast, easy to use, and makes a good cup of coffee.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEPVfJVua1A

GC7

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
I have a 4 cup stainless that gets no use at the present time. It takes some work to get a good cup from it but its possible.

It's yours if you want it.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »
I have a 4 cup stainless that gets no use at the present time. It takes some work to get a good cup from it but its possible.

Hmmmm.... worth a traveling road boat show.  We can make a deal for some green if you want!

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »

Yes, I used Bialettis, to include that specific one for about two years.  Mokka pots deliver a rich, "big" cup.  Downside?  The cup is muddled -- takes a structured cup and makes flavors indistinguishable.

BJava
With your pooched roasts how can you tell? ;D

GC7

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

Hmmmm.... worth a traveling road boat show.  We can make a deal for some green if you want!

No problem - I can wait until my next greens purchase from you for a little extra treat but nothing is really necessary. I know I have it somewhere but IM me your address and I'll get it out to you asap.

Tex

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »

BJava
With your pooched roasts how can you tell? ;D

Actually, a moka pot loves pooched roasts - the darker the better. With my Venus 6 cup I use 1 rounded tablespoon of chicory to two rounded tablespoons coffee, and 1/4 cup heavy cream in the top chamber. Fill the bottom chamber to the bottom of the pressure valve. To make it even better you'll need a plate of  beignets with powdered sugar.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »
What about something like this?

Unlike Aaron, most folks would scald the crap out of themselves trying to pour boiling water into a FP. Besides, I'd bet that most folks just want a hot cup of strong coffee when they're out on the Puget Sound pulling crab pots?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »
I a Bialetti just like the one you have pictured in the first post, 6 cup version. Came from my local TJ Max/ Marshall's. I also have one of the "hex style" that came from a yard sale that seem to be more common (6 cup version also):

You could have the "Hex style" version for the cost of shipping.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »
BTW,

I've never been that much of a fan of mokka pots, but I always read that to get the best flavor they need to be seasoned with multiple brews and to never wash them if used regularly. Supposedly the more use they see, the better coffee they produce.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
BTW,

I've never been that much of a fan of mokka pots, but I always read that to get the best flavor they need to be seasoned with multiple brews and to never wash them if used regularly. Supposedly the more use they see, the better coffee they produce.

Probably applies more to aluminum models than stainless models. Bare aluminum forms an aluminum oxide barrier when the water's heated. Like anodized aluminum, the aluminum oxide barrier stops oxidation from leaching aluminum into the water.

While aluminum suspended in water isn't a health issue, it does affect flavor.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Moka Pots require some getting used to.

My advice is to use lots of sugar and flat steamed milk to go towards Cuban coffee style. It's the only way I found I like Moka Pot coffee.

On the boat I guess just heat some milk any way you can and it should work out. Like Bold said it is a muddled cup. Also there is a taste that I find with any type of coffee you throw at it..Moka Pot taste, you will find it.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:20:34 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

donn

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »
I like the moka pot.  Started with one, my first coffee brewing device - back when I lived on a boat, sort of.  The thing I mainly got tired of was replacing the gaskets, as I was using it twice a day every day.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 05:00:12 AM »
It works.

It does make coffee.

You will have a difficult time distinguishing flavors in the cup. It would be on the opposite end of your Astoria Lever.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski