Author Topic: Thoughts after my Virtuoso rebuild.  (Read 774 times)

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
Thoughts after my Virtuoso rebuild.
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
I have had a Virtuoso for about 7 years and it stopped grinding but the motor still ran.  So, as I assumed the gears were stripped. I checked Baratza for parts and found that the die cast gear that stripped in mine has now been replaced with a plastic gear and it was available in a gear box rebuild kit for $15.  I opted for the gear box rebuild kit with Preciso burrs for $65. I wanted to share that the plastic gear made the grinder alot quiter but, what I was really impressed with was the new burrs. I first noticed that they pull the beans into them instead of the old ones where the coffee would just bounce around until it fell into them.  The second thing I noticed was alot more consistant grind size for espresso and has also improved my consistant shots. :D
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
Re: Thoughts after my Virtuoso rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
How hard was it to switch out the gearbox, not that I have to, but thought it was a good idea to plan for it at some time down the road.
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Outstanding!

Like Paul, I'll file this away for future consideration.

It may also make some cheap, perhaps non-functioning, CL find more appealing.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
The only difficulty was holding the burr while unscrewing the shaft as it is fairly tight. I didn't want to damage the burr so I used rags and clamped it in a vise.  The gearbox rebuild kit came with a plastic gear and a thick plastic side plate with a bronze bushing in it to replace a thin piece if sheet metal.  I like the addition of the bronze bushing as it supports the lower end of the burr shaft.  Baratza has PDFs troubleshooting guides on thier website that show step by step directions with pictures. That made it very easy.
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson