Author Topic: Toper Roasters  (Read 1561 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Toper Roasters
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
I found a Toper 2.5KG roaster for sale fairly close to me. I was told that it was a 2006 model. The current owner said he has had it for 2 years and only roasted about 20 lbs. of coffee since he owned it.

I've read a little bit on the Topers but I am wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with one. One of the things I've read is that they have problems roasting a full batch of coffee. I've also read conflicting reports on sourcing replacement parts. Some say that parts are readily available at most places that sell industrial grade parts, while others state that to get parts you have to go through Toper, which is located in Turkey. 

I may go look at it this weekend. What things should I be sure to examine on a used roaster?

milowebailey

Re: Toper Roasters
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
Jason

I think Pyment has a toper... what you'll want to look at is the burners and gas control valves and the motors.  You'll be able to assess based on brand if they are some odd Turkey parts or US motors (Dayton, etc.) and gas parts (Honeywell, etc.).

Take 10 lbs of beans with you and roast a batch or two.... see how it roasts... look and see how even, how long, etc.

Ambex is partially made in Turkey, all the sheet metal is, so the topers might be good.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Toper Roasters
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
I know there may be a lot of variables and conditions involved, but I wonder what a good price for used 2.5 kg Toper would be? I know his asking price, and I've already given him a counter offer, but I'm just wondering if I'm in the ballpark.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Well I got to go check out the roaster this weekend. I wasn't able to roast on the unit. Thing looked really dirty. The guy that has it is the 3rd owner and he said he only roasted maybe 5 or 6 batches on the roaster, but it looks like it has seen some use.

Cooling tray was filthy, so much so that most of the holes were clogged:

Electronics look good though:

Burners:

Inside the cooler:

Chaff collector:

The guy still wants $6400 for the roaster. During our conversations he actually slipped up and told me he paid $6000 for it and then quickly changed that figure to $6700. I've already offered him $4500 and thought about going up to $4800, of course contingent on the fact that it fires up and runs. The roaster is wired for 220 with sucks because I would have to install an outlet if I bought it.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45:03 AM »
That is VERY dirty. Looks like a fire waiting to happen. If he couldn't (or didn't know how to) keep it clean, I wonder if he even did routine maintenance. The work you will have to put into it to clean it should be considered. I think your offer is more than it is worth. If he doesn't accept it I don't think you should go higher

Thanks for the input. I though it seemed overly grungy. Personally I wouldn't drink coffee that had passed through that cooling tray. It was that gross. You think I should lower my offer?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
I read in another thread about a gentleman that sells used and reconditioned roasters. Anyone remember his name?

Tex

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »
I'd pass on this one; it's been abused and unless you're an expert at evaluating used drum roasters you could step into a pile of crap. At the least, you should consider how much time it'd take you (or someone else) to completely strip it & clean/test/refurbish everything.

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
I read in another thread about a gentleman that sells used and reconditioned roasters. Anyone remember his name?

That is Victor Mondry.  Don't have his website -- never really keeps it current.
Original V LLC
7182 US Hwy 14
Suite 1120
Middleton WI 53562

m. 608.695.3910
google voice (608 515-8393
fax 775.306.7981
victor.mondry@mac.com

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »

That is Victor Mondry.  Don't have his website -- never really keeps it current.
Original V LLC
7182 US Hwy 14
Suite 1120
Middleton WI 53562

m. 608.695.3910
google voice (608 515-8393
fax 775.306.7981
victor.mondry@mac.com

That's it. Thank you.