Author Topic: Beehouse vs Hario V60 ???  (Read 3753 times)

SJM

Beehouse vs Hario V60 ???
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
I think I was missing when the Beehouse seems to have replaced the Hario V60 as the favorite pourover device.  Can someone/anyone update me on if/why it is preferable?

Gift giving is upcoming....

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:56:38 PM by Joe »

Soapbox

Re: Beehouse vs Hario V60 ???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
While very satisfied with the V60 I have been attempted to give the beehouse a trial run.  What bothers me is every time I look at the little itty bitty hole I worry about having to grind so coarse that I would ruin the body and taste experience that I enjoy so much with the hario.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
I think the main difference is the pour technique used between the brewers differs greatly, and should be taken into account when buying as a gift. The Beehouse is a more user friendly brewer in that you can just basically pour in water and then let it drain. The Hario brewers, with their large hole in the bottom, requires some refinement of your pour technique (pour speed, pour patter, etc) to get the most out of the brewer. I would say the Hario is more for the coffee geek.

Also remember the Hario uses special filters, whereas the filters for the Beehouse can be purchase almost anywhere.

SJM

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
Thanks.
Seems to me then that the Beehouse is a better idea as a gift since hardly anyone who isn't already here is as geeky as we are....
And I had forgotten about the special filters for the Hario since I've been using the Kone for mine....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Beehouse has to be the better gift choice.

Most people would brew27 second cups with the Hario and not know why they suck.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
Okay, then, just for grins, (and to be sure we have covered this subject) for a full out geek -- or myself -- does the Beehouse have anything to recommend it over the Hario V60 (if a Kone is already on board)....

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
I know BIJava has both...he could give a good answer.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:10 PM »
The Kone won't fit the beehouse, right?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:57:41 PM by Joe »
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

ecc

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Okay, then, just for grins, (and to be sure we have covered this subject) for a full out geek -- or myself -- does the Beehouse have anything to recommend it over the Hario V60 (if a Kone is already on board)....

IMO, it's about brew quantity.  For small amounts, (12 oz and under) paper with a beehouse V-shaped or Kalita flat-bottom is easier to get great results than a Kone, or a paper v60.  Much above that, vacpots and Kones rule.  Just my opinion.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »
I'm an oak paper man myself Jimmy.

No idea on the Kone.

Lee Morrison

ecc

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Kone doesn't fit my Beehouse 01 at all, maybe the 02.  It kinda fits in a clever.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
Kone doesn't fit my Beehouse 01 at all, maybe the 02. 

I'm not sure but think the larger Beehouse (assuming it's like other cones) is just taller. So if the kone would fit in the large Beehouse it should also fit the small but just stick over the top.

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
The Kone 3 fits in my Hario V60-1 and V60-2.  It does come up over the top of the -1, but that doesn't seem to be any problem at all.

It also fits nicely in my larger Chemex (probably still only 4-cups), but won't even come close to fitting into my favorite Chemex (1-3 cup).

Susan

SJM

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
You're favorite Chemex is the 1-3 cup?  I've never tried one and I'd heard that they can be hard to use, much narrower cone than the larger Chemex brewers.  Interesting.

What do you find different about the small Chemex, Susan?

It feels right....
Remember my household is just ME, so the size is just right....

On the other hand, my brewing experience was much more limited when I was using it, and I still had no idea there were so many options, so I might not be as enamored of it if I were to go back to using it today, mostly because it will require my using paper filters again....
I'll try it out tomorrow, though, and report back...

You've got to admit it's pretty cute....:-))))

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
The Kone3 fit in my large Beehouse, but it was somewhat awkward. I used it in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson