Author Topic: Baratza Maestro Quit Working  (Read 1616 times)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
Baratza Maestro Quit Working
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
I have a fairly old Maestro that just quit grinding.  No response either from the timer switch on the side or the manual switch in front.  It was on and off for a few days, but now has just quit.  Could the problem be that the motor just wore out, or is there some simple fix assuming I could remove the cover?  I don't see any screws or tabs to press to get the cover off.  I use this Maestro for drip and pour over, and have a Vario for espresso. 

Anybody got any thoughts about working on the Maestro, or should I just suck it up and get a new Encore for $129?
Bob Feuker

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Re: Baratza Maestro Quit Working
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
It ought to be a pretty simple thing to fix...

Get that cover off and start tracing power.  Sounds like a bad connection around the area of the plug...
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
Baratza Maestro Quit Working
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
I would ask their service dept. i found them helpful.
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Tex

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
I have a fairly old Maestro that just quit grinding.  No response either from the timer switch on the side or the manual switch in front.  It was on and off for a few days, but now has just quit.  Could the problem be that the motor just wore out, or is there some simple fix assuming I could remove the cover?  I don't see any screws or tabs to press to get the cover off.  I use this Maestro for drip and pour over, and have a Vario for espresso. 

Anybody got any thoughts about working on the Maestro, or should I just suck it up and get a new Encore for $129?

I'm not sure it's worth fixing, unless you're just aching to find something to spend a few hours playing around with. So, what's your time worth?

edited: FWIW; Absent a puff of smoke or the distinct smell of ozone, you can rule out motor failure. Motors seldom go bad, so look for loose wiring or a start capacitor failure.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:05:45 PM by Tex »

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
Mission accomplished. Once I got the cover pried off I saw a lot of ground coffee and other nasty stuff in there.  That evidently was not the problem, but I cleaned that bad boy as good as new inside and out.  I just checked all of the connectors by hand and two of them were a little loose. I pushed the connectors in tight and the grinder is back in business.  Thanks for the input and encouragement.  Just saved $129 for 20 minutes work. 
Bob Feuker

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
They are pretty easy to work on, what a different place than Home-Barista. This would normally be cause for someone to buy a Mahlkonig shop grinder!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
Mission accomplished. Once I got the cover pried off I saw a lot of ground coffee and other nasty stuff in there.  That evidently was not the problem, but I cleaned that bad boy as good as new inside and out.  I just checked all of the connectors by hand and two of them were a little loose. I pushed the connectors in tight and the grinder is back in business.  Thanks for the input and encouragement.  Just saved $129 for 20 minutes work.

Well done!

Maybe I'll get you to look at mine if it goes on the blink.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

Excellent 8)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
They are pretty easy to work on, what a different place than Home-Barista. This would normally be cause for someone to buy a Mahlkonig shop grinder!

Or for 15 people to tell you why their grinder is better than what you have.