Author Topic: Are there Levers for Latte Lovers?  (Read 2322 times)

SJM

Are there Levers for Latte Lovers?
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
Does anyone here have a lever espresso maker that s/he recommends for someone who loves her lattes?
Wimpy steaming is not an option.
Espresso without frou frou frou frou is not of any interest to me at all....
Nor is having a second gizmo for the frou frou part....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Are there Levers for Latte Lovers?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
Any except the Pepinna (or a derivative) I think..

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Susan

The Sama Export I have has plenty of steaming power.   My Gaggia Achille can steam all day, but it's an HX lever.

The La Pavoni I had didn't really think it had enough for more than one maybe two lattes, but it could steam.

My CMA could steam rice for a whole family and still have plenty left for a couple dozen lattes.  Seems staylor, John F, jspain all have Ponte Vecches and they make lattes....

you neeeeeed one!

Tex

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »
Milo's HX Gaggia Achille might do a good job. The problem is lever machines like the LP Europiccola have a single boiler, so to keep the temp at a proper brewing temp they have to sacrifice steam performance. I will add however, the my PV Lusso's boiler is large enough that there's plenty of steam, and my LP Pro can handle a pretty good quantity of milk.

SJM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Susan

The Sama Export I have has plenty of steaming power.   My Gaggia Achille can steam all day, but it's an HX lever.

The La Pavoni I had didn't really think it had enough for more than one maybe two lattes, but it could steam.

My CMA could steam rice for a whole family and still have plenty left for a couple dozen lattes.  Seems staylor, John F, jspain all have Ponte Vecches and they make lattes....

you neeeeeed one!

I think you might be right.  I have had both a SAMA and a LaPeppina but both of them were used and in need of more help than I could give them.  I did the whole gasket replacement on the SAMA but then I was tired of the whole modding to get back to zero routine.  (Chef Glen has it now).  I think if I do get a lever it will have to be a new one (ouch!!!!), but I still think the SAMA is the prettiest machine I have ever seen....oh dear....poor pocketbook....

Susan

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »
Susan

you neeeeeed one!

I think you might be right.  I have had both a SAMA and a LaPeppina but both of them were used and in need of more help than I could give them.  I did the whole gasket replacement on the SAMA but then I was tired of the whole modding to get back to zero routine.  (Chef Glen has it now).  I think if I do get a lever it will have to be a new one (ouch!!!!), but I still think the SAMA is the prettiest machine I have ever seen....oh dear....poor pocketbook....

Susan
I "might" know where you can get a red Sama, if you are in the market for one.

SJM

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »
I "might" know where you can get a red Sama, if you are in the market for one.

PM on its way....
I got up this morning realizing that a new SAMA ($900) was out of my comfort zone....
and then this....
Yippee....

Susan

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
Larry's SAMA looks nice. I bet it would even better on your counter....  :D
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
Larry's SAMA looks nice. I bet it would even better on your counter....  :D
It ships out to Susan on Monday.... Welcome back to leverland!

SJM

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
Thank you !!!!
I am so excited to have come back around to this.

When I had one once before I was simply overwhelmed by all of the machines I had around that all needed help.  Now that I have cleared the deck of all of the stuff I can't manage I think I am ready to revive my interest in the SAMA which has always appealed to me (collywompas boiler and all)....

Timing is everything.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
Thank you !!!!
I am so excited to have come back around to this.

When I had one once before I was simply overwhelmed by all of the machines I had around that all needed help.  Now that I have cleared the deck of all of the stuff I can't manage I think I am ready to revive my interest in the SAMA which has always appealed to me (collywompas boiler and all)....

Timing is everything.

Welcome to Oompa Oompa land!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SJM

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
Kudos on the new machine!   I'm looking forward to hearing how it's going.   I've been looking at the same lever.  There's a guy in the Sacto area that sells the Export.  Pictures when it arrives, please!
LMWDP #440

SJM

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
Well well well....
Here's my story (and I'm stickin' to it)

My first shot out of the SAMA is the most beautiful and tastiest shot I have ever pulled and the microfoam is as good as what I was pulling using the Classic with the Sylvia wand upgrade.

I am one very happy camper !!!!

Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
congrats Susan.   I've always wanted to try an Export.