Author Topic: Baratza Virtuoso Knob Tip  (Read 2843 times)

SJM

Re: Baratza Virtuoso Knob Tip
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
They just want you to buy the weighing attachment! Why else would they not address something so simple yet so annoying? Tried the tape, mine didn't respond well to the fix.

Oh how very rude of them if true....

:(  :(  :(

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
They just want you to buy the weighing attachment! Why else would they not address something so simple yet so annoying? Tried the tape, mine didn't respond well to the fix.

You forgot the winkie.  Why would a company that bends over backwards to provide the greatest customer service in the world, as attested to over and over online, intentionally sabotage a product?  So they can provide more customer service?  So their reputation for quality can suffer?

I'm curious as to how many falling-off-knobs there are, and if new models are still suffering from it. 

SYP, what about the fix didn't work?  Maybe you need one more layer of tape in the slot.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »

You forgot the winkie.  Why would a company that bends over backwards to provide the greatest customer service in the world, as attested to over and over online, intentionally sabotage a product?  So they can provide more customer service?  So their reputation for quality can suffer?

I'm curious as to how many falling-off-knobs there are, and if new models are still suffering from it. 

SYP, what about the fix didn't work?  Maybe you need one more layer of tape in the slot.

I tend to agree that it is unlikely a "conspiracy" (in general I'm not fond of the concept of conspiracies),
BUT, what part of customer service is it not to fix a problem that affects every customer? 

Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
BUT, what part of customer service is it not to fix a problem that affects every customer? 

Susan

That's why I'm wondering if newer units are still having the probelm, or if it was just a batch (even a huge batch) that went from the manufacturer and got drop-shipped out before anyone new it was a problem.  I'd be really surprised if new Virtuosos are still having their knobs fall off.  The question then becomes, if you're Baratza, do you have some custom knobs made up w/ wider center tabs, and track down every Virtuoso owner and send them a new custom knob?

And since you used the phrase 'every customer' I'm wondering if it's only Virtuoso owners that have to do the tape trick.

JW

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
I received a Preciso for Christmas this past year. While the knob is easy to remove, it doesn't consistently fall off. I have not needed to do any mod to keep the knob on. I guess I'm lucky...

SJM

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Dunno
My Virtuoso is flawed and from what I have read here everyone's is.
Do I really care?
Nah....
I don't recommend them, but ....so what????

Like Larry, I can use the exercise chasing it around the floor once a week or so....

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
Dunno
Do I really care?
Nah....

Like Larry, I can use the exercise chasing it around the floor once a week or so....

Or...  you could use some of your persevering spirit to fix it once and for all.

SJM

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
Dunno
Do I really care?
Nah....

Or...  you could use some of your persevering spirit to fix it once and for all.

We will see....my perverse self may have already done that....
won't know until it doesn't fall off again, though will we???

Nite
Susan
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:10:17 AM by SJM »

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »
My stem for the knob is plastic, I suppose it may be difficult to maintain a tight fit , not an engineer.

I would not try scotch tape as I have seen what can happen over time, it dries out or becomes gummy and it would be hard to clean.

I have put on the teflon tape as I described at the top of thread and it is a tight fit and has not loosened up. It is such a quick and inexpensive fix and I am happy I havnt been chasing the knob around.

also it is easy to double teflon tape if the gap of your knob is still loose with one piece.
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »

I tend to agree that it is unlikely a "conspiracy" (in general I'm not fond of the concept of conspiracies),

Susan

Yeah, I forgot the winkie! I did fall down the path of reason that Susan did. Being that it is part of my job to weigh such issues and resolve them it bugs me that much more. I guess I could try two layers of tape next. It still seems like the knob sticks out too far though and the additional leverage in the wrong direction causes the plastic catch to open a bit more.