Author Topic: Very Minor Behmor Question  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Very Minor Behmor Question
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm always getting the chaf collector properly positioned in my Behmor. Sometimes when I roast and the drum is spinning I see and hear a very brief it looks and sounds like it's catching somewhere. This lasts for all of about 1/12th of a second on each rotation. I just don't want to cause undue stress on any of the parts. Don't you just kind of slide the tray in and lift its handle up?

jspain

Re: Very Minor Behmor Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »
I have both the old model and the newer model Behmor. The new model has the handle on the chaff tray. The next time you look at it you'll see if you push it in it is open and pull it towards you and it's closed for cleaning purposes. Also make sue the top flap on the tray is down. not up when you place it into the roast chamber...... That sounds like it might be your restriction?? 

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
Yes, the handle on mine is on the tray itself. I try making sure the handle is in the up position when I put the tray into the chamber. I'll look more closely.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:26 AM »

:)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:07:01 AM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »
Yes, the handle on mine is on the tray itself. I try making sure the handle is in the up position when I put the tray into the chamber. I'll look more closely.

The possible problems have been covered, but let me followup.
First put in the drum making sure the left side is in the slot and not on top of the metal .
Second,  make sure the flap in the front is folded over, prob cant insert it if it isnt, but thought Id mention it.
Third, press the handle down so the fins are flattened, slilde it in to the unit, and then lift up the handle after it is in all the way.

It should work fine that way..
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
Thanks Paul and everybody else. I'll pay close attention to the metal slot on the left where the drum fits in.

Offline Dregs

• Standard User
  • Better, not bitter.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
Here is another possible explanation.

After a while, the bent-over wires that serve as hinges for the lid loosen up.  As a result, the lid may not be quite in line with the rest of the cage when you snap down the latch that holds the lid in place.  The spindle is on the lid so when the lid is slightly out of alignment with the rest of the cage, the cage will not rotate perfectly parallel to the chaff tray.  Some part of the cage will bump the tray.  If the cage gets far enough out of alignment, it can actually lock up against the chaff tray.  Burnt beans, big mess, been there, done that.

You can squeeze the hinges tighter with pliers, but just be sure the lid is centered over the end of the cage when you snap down the latch.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
I think that may well b the problem, Dregs. Pliers, where art thou?