Author Topic: It's far time that I came out...  (Read 1444 times)

Offline mitchg

• Standard User
It's far time that I came out...
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »
No, Not a different lifestyle...

Last year I bought a Breville Dual Boiler. I bought it from Amazon and figured with all the reviews that were favorable on Coffee Geek (Heck Mark even recommended that machine to Leo Laporte who also had a lot of praise for it.) I figured that it may be worth trying for a few weeks and returning if I didn't like it.

Turns out I really am happy with the machine, I did have a little issue that would have required service, but they swapped the whole machine for a brand new one and covered the shipping. (and gave me the extra two years of filters for my inconvenience).

How does it compare to the other $2K machines? I really don't know, but the price for a Dual Boiler was appealing and the features for that price were unparalleled. It made me put my Sylvia into storage and I was pulling great shots and making milk drinks for company at a pace I never could before.

In a perfect world I'd be independently wealthy and have a La Marzocco , but since the world isn't perfect, this machine meets my needs. I never thought much of Breville prior to this purchase and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised.

milowebailey

Re: It's far time that I came out...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
You probably feel better getting that out  ;D

What matters is you are happy with what you have.  If/when the time comes you want more, then it will be time to look for something different.

I was happy with the first Gaggia I had..... for a while, then the first commercial machine I had......for a while and now I'm in Leverland  ~2 1/2 years now..... glad I made the move here and plan to stay longer.  Not sure what might be next, but no plans for a moving truck right now....

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »
...or the dog house.  ;D
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
Good to hear you're enjoying the Breville.   Nothing else really matters.

There are A LOT of glowing reviews on that machine.  And, the price point can't be beat.  So tell us......do the shots taste different than those you got on the Silvia?   
LMWDP #440

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »
Did you buy it from Amazon?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mitchg

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
Yes, I bought it from Amazon and I'm very happy with the quality of shots that I can pour from the Dual Boiler. It pulls shots consistently that I'd have to play around (and use a lot of beans) to dial in on the Rancillio. I still have my Rocky and find it works well with the new machine.

It was a bit of a psychological move for me as I've always thought of Breville as an overpriced brand for mediocre products.

I think that Breville really sought out to get the opinions of baristas and aficionados that were in the know, and loaded it up with desirable features that usually aren't in any machines anywhere near this price point.

I was taken back when Mark Prince tweeted to Leo Laporte that it would be a great machine for him, and at first I thought it was a joke, but I asked him offline and and he was very sincere.

I'll be honest, when I ordered it I didn't expect that I would keep it. It took me by surprise. I even told my wife that it was "on loan" and she was the first one to say "I think you may want to keep it."

Also with the Silvia I never really wanted to make milk drinks, I just found the temperature surfing to pull shots and having to move back between the steaming and shot pulling temps to be too much of a hassle, now it is really no big deal and I don't frown when company asks for a Cap.

Naturally, this is all my humble opinion, but I feel it was an incredible bargain and I wanted to share my findings.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
Difference between a SBDU machine and a DBM or HX machine is like night and day. Newbies would be well advised to get a DBDU or HX machine over the SBDU machine. It just saves a great amount of aggravation and produces consistent and repeatable shots on a regular basis. When I moved from the Gaggia to the Isomac it was a whole new world. I could actually pull espresso shots and steam at he same time.

Enjoy your new machine.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

jano

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
A friend of mine just got this machine last month, and I got to play with it for a couple days - I think it's actually quite a deal and a fantastic machine.  Nice and compact, too, easy to use and enough bells/whistles to keep tinkerers happy.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
I think these came out right after I bought my machine, and it made me think I could've saved some money.   :(   The hard questions will come out when a Breville needs service and parts 3 years down the road after the warranty is out.  And while I didn't buy my machine thinking about resale, that's an area I suspect the Breville won't be strong in.  That's very cool though that you've been very happy, Mitch.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Jeffo

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Yes, I bought it from Amazon and I'm very happy with the quality of shots that I can pour from the Dual Boiler.

I wish somebody would use my Amazon Affiliates link for something like that.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have something like this. I had the lowest of the line pump machine, a Krups that my wife found for $25. Getting a good shot was like winning something at an amusement park where they make it almost impossible, but you get a prize every once in a long while. Part of the fun was making the preroasted blends. But I quit. But I'm enjoying regular coffee so much that I don't mind a whole lot. I really like having a Milwaukeatto at peter's now and then. Those are always great.

It's great to hear you love your machine. You don't need anything else. We can be content with what we have, unless we have the money and really want to go with something else.

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »

I really like having a Milwaukeatto at peter's now and then. Those are always great.

Thanks for that Jeffo!!  Milwaukeattos© can be exceptional at Peter's house.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
Hmm ... I'm starting to salivate after reading this thread.

I will not have a Milwaukeatto, I will not have a Milkyway, I will not have a Milkycoffee, I will not have a cappuccino.

I did not read this thread. It is too late to have any coffee beverage.

I did not read this thread.

:)
lp, 7-Ski