Author Topic: Baratza FORTE  (Read 1814 times)

SJM

Baratza FORTE
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the FORTE?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:58:55 PM by Joe »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Baratza FORTE
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
No personal experience but since it is a basically a beefed up Vario, I can say that with the ceramic burrs it didn't do well for pour over. I returned the vario in favor of getting a Cimbali Max hybrid at the time.

I would consider one with the metal burrs for pour over but it is quite expensive. For espresso, I like the conical since it seems like I have to adjust the grind less.

SJM

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
For espresso, I like the conical since it seems like I have to adjust the grind less.

Now, why is that? 
This would be just for espresso.
It would be to pair with my Classic instead of the Rancilio MD-50.
I'm getting tired of the extraordinary amount of mess....
Susan

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
I can only assume that the conical is more consistent with the grind compared to the flat burrs.

SJM

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
Interesting, but it seems for Baratza themselves when they went to their higher quality grinders they moved from conical to flat.

https://www.baratza.com/which-baratza-grinder-is-right-for-you/

http://www.baratza.com/steel-vs-ceramic-burrs-and-heat-generation-the-lowdown/

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
and what's wrong with two Pharoses?

pShoe

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Unless I use a funnel with the Vario it can still get messy. It can be less messing with certain beans, but I still use a funnel every time. 

I always thought the size of the burrs had more to do with consistency and less needed adjustments. I think the flat burrs used by Baratza are considered on the smaller size. I've read that large flat burrs function more like conical. It would have been nice to see larger burrs on the Forte. 

SJM

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 03:07:01 PM »
Unless I use a funnel with the Vario it can still get messy. It can be less messing with certain beans, but I still use a funnel every time. 

I have no trouble with some mess and with using a funnel, but with  the MD-50 I have to use a toothbrush to clean out the chute for every shot, hit the grind button again to get the very last bit out....weigh and re-weigh because it never gives out everything I put in.  It's getting a bit old.

and what's wrong with two Pharoses?

Where's the fun in that Sam????

pShoe

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
... with  the MD-50 I have to use a toothbrush to clean out the chute for every shot, hit the grind button again to get the very last bit out....weigh and re-weigh because it never gives out everything I put in.  It's getting a bit old.

The retention is very low and will be much easier. A little slap on the side and you'll be ready to go.     

SJM

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
 :D

But, we will see.....I am in the armchair browsing part of this information gathering.

Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

I meant to say RDT,  not WDT.  can I have a vowel pls...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:09:47 PM by expy98 »

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »
fun is doing something else instead of fixing a sink shot :-)

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Unless I use a funnel with the Vario it can still get messy. 

With my Vario, I pre-weigh the beans and grind them into the standard hopper (as I would for drip).  I then put my portafilter on a paper plate (which I store on the top shelf (out of sight) above my coffee station),  remove the hopper and shake it back and forth a few times to eliminate clumps and fluff up the grind, pour it into the PF, level off any excess (back into the hopper, usually), tamp, put the hopper back in the Vario and the paper plate back on the shelf, lock in the PF and pull the shot.