Author Topic: Anyone use the Porlex grinders?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Anyone use the Porlex grinders?
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
I need a grinder for travel.  The Lido is just too big in stature.  Anyone ever cut down the Lido?  (I read about it somewhere).    I was hoping to love the Commandante, but they don't sell them no mo.  Will need something for FP.

And no, the Grindmonster is not an option. 

Experiences? 
LMWDP #440

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Anyone use the Porlex grinders?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
how about using the local supermarket's grinder?  I didn't want to haul
a grinder so I'd grind enough to last several days each time. 

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
One of the Hario offerings?  I have the Skerton and the Slim for mobile coffee...both work well.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
If you are using it for travel, I would opt for the Hario Slim. The Skerton is a great grinder, but the Slim is much more compact and travel friendly. I'm pretty sure they share the same burrs, but I like the adjustment mechanism on the Slim and the fact it's made from plastic and not glass. Hario Slim + Aeropress = travel nirvana to me.

JW

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
I have a mini porlex. It works surprisingly well at a drip setting or finer, but does not work well at a coarse setting. At a coarse setting it produces a huge range of particle sizes and way too many fines.

Paired with an aeropress (which it fits inside of), it is great for travel as it correlates with the appropriate grind.

jano

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
Grindmonster is always an option.  ;D 

As suggested earlier, you can pre-grind.  I used to do this for travel, would grind and pre-portion for up to a week's worth of coffee.  I'd seal up food saver bags as little compartments, then just tear each open as I needed to use it (no need to vac seal, just keep it airtight).  Takes very little room, too. 

If pre-grinding makes you go  :o,  I challenge you to do a blind taste test!   8)

jano

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
At a coarse setting it produces a huge range of particle sizes and way too many fines.

I've not seen one in person, but I've seen various articles on people shiming or finding ways to secure the burrs to reduce possible wobble.  Have you tried that?  Did it help?  Or does it come down to burr in this case?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
I have a mini porlex. It works surprisingly well at a drip setting or finer, but does not work well at a coarse setting. At a coarse setting it produces a huge range of particle sizes and way too many fines.

Since Patti is looking for feedback on a grinder for her press pot, I would interject and suggest that the old rule that we grind coarse for press pot, be thrown out the window.  There is no reason to grind coarse; most grinders will produce plenty of fines whether it's a medium, coarse or fine grind.  I grind toward the fine end of the spectrum for my press pot, and simply cut back on the steeping time.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

pShoe

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »

Since Patti is looking for feedback on a grinder for her press pot, I would interject and suggest that the old rule that we grind coarse for press pot, be thrown out the window.  There is no reason to grind coarse; most grinders will produce plenty of fines whether it's a medium, coarse or fine grind.  I grind toward the fine end of the spectrum for my press pot, and simply cut back on the steeping time.

I like this on paper, but don't you find it leads to a lot more sediment in the cup?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
Good feedback.  I'm looking to pair up with my impress for the next trip.  If the Porlex don't cut it, will the skerton?
LMWDP #440

pShoe

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
I think the Prolex has a better burr alignment system than the skerton. I've practically been using a skerton daily for  over a year as my work grinder. I think it does a good job at the finer side, but is noticeably less consistent in the coarser settings. My coffee at work is never quite as good as my home brews. I haven't decided if the lower quality is attributed to the Aeropress or skerton. I have a feeling it is the latter. Once my pharos comes in I can lend you the skerton for you to test out.  Unfortunately, at almost 2 weeks since I've order the pharos and no shipping e-mail yet I'm not sure when I could lend the skertonout....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:24:39 PM by pShoe »

ecc

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »

I like this on paper, but don't you find it leads to a lot more sediment in the cup?

If there is an increase in sediment, I haven't noticed, and don't know how to quantify that anyway.  Honestly, it's been such a long time - years - since I've used a coarse grind for press pot I can't say I can compare.  I subscribe to the finer grind/shorter steep time equals less bitterness and overextraction theory.   :)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you