Author Topic: Ambex 2K Roaster / Q&A / Tips and Tricks  (Read 4819 times)

Ray T

Ambex 2K Roaster / Q&A / Tips and Tricks
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
We need a sticky (hint hint please )so maybe I and others will avoid making mistakes when setting the machine up. it will be a couple months before I can even use it. Right now all I can do is protect it from the weather and read up  ;D
I did plug it in test and inspect everything so it's good to go when I am 

1st question - table size -mainly height, do I want to sit and roast ?? Planning on keeping the top small so getting around it to clean or work on is easy thoughts ? experiences.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:44:58 AM by Joe »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Ambex 2K Roaster / Q&A / Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
My roaster was part of a package, and the table it sits on is stainless top w/ wire shelf below it.  It has round legs and casters, and the legs were cut down so the finished height is 14", which is perfect for me.  It puts the cooling tray about waist high.  The casters are handy. 

If you're using propane, you'll want enough room on the cart/table for a tank.  Either that or a hose that's long enough from the regulator to the roaster's on/off valve.

Why the long wait until you use it, Ray?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Ray T

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

Why the long wait until you use it, Ray?

No good place to set it up. ONCE  ;DThe garage is FULL and not completly weather proof so I need to empty, sheet-rock insulate ect . I was no way ready for this I still have snow on the ground the garage is still full full full from summer projects and unlike some I still work for a living so it may take time just to find the wall where the propane will be plumbed into  ;D I have waited a long time for this so a little longer wont kill me i hope, so Right and once is very important to me.

Thanks I will look for something stainless around 14"-15" X around 20"x32"or so with wheels for now it needs a good dusting inside and out. No better way to get to know it that tear it apart.

Pictures are always great  ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:02:14 PM by Ray T »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
My table looks like this, only it has casters.  The casters may not be a big deal if you have a permanent spot for it.  The legs are round, so once they're cut down, you just assemble the table and voila, it's perfect.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:04 AM »
Tearing it apart won't be fun. Given how clean it looks, run a batch and toss the coffee.

Check the exhaust pipes and fan. If they look clean, you are ready to roast.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
Ray

Hook a tank up and fire it up... the heat will eliminate the dust.  You don't have to roast, you can just pre-heat it and make sure all is working.  I duct mine out of a window in the basement.  You could use a metal dryer vent temporarily  Propane tank sits on the floor of the basement.  I use double wall 4" ducting (you can get sections of it at most any home improvement center.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
Ray

Hook a tank up and fire it up...  Propane tank sits on the floor of the basement...

Please read the safety warnings from the propane association.  Don't use a propane tank inside. http://www.pgane.org/small-cylinder/
State of Michigan:  http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453_5531-174515--,00.html
Amerigas:  http://www.amerigas.com/pdfs/PSA_PropaneSafety_NJPGA_11_12_12.pdf
National Fire Protectin Assn:  http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/gasoline-and-propane/propane-safety
ad infinitum...

In addition, my brother, a retired engineer, was lead design and production engineer for one of the largest propane and scuba valve manufacturers in the U.S.  He says, "DON'T DO IT."  Valves fail; propane is heavier than air and will lay on your basement floor.  Invitation to trouble.  Spend the dime, get it plumbed, and put in a natural gas burner.  Life is too precious.

End of sermon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:33:14 PM by BoldJava »

Ray T

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
Ray

Hook a tank up and fire it up... the heat will eliminate the dust.  You don't have to roast, you can just pre-heat it and make sure all is working.  I duct mine out of a window in the basement.  You could use a metal dryer vent temporarily  Propane tank sits on the floor of the basement.  I use double wall 4" ducting (you can get sections of it at most any home improvement center.

I do plan on trying that but it did not come with the regulator for a propane tank, I think I have a old BBQ regulator some where otherwise I will have to buy one plus adapters just to try it. I think digging, running the gas pipe 6" -10' or so will be my first project on my next day off after the stupid snow melts.

Ray

Hook a tank up and fire it up...  Propane tank sits on the floor of the basement...

Please read the safety warnings from the propane association.  Don't use a propane tank inside. http://www.pgane.org/small-cylinder/
State of Michigan:  http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453_5531-174515--,00.html
Amerigas:  http://www.amerigas.com/pdfs/PSA_PropaneSafety_NJPGA_11_12_12.pdf
National Fire Protectin Assn:  http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/gasoline-and-propane/propane-safety
ad infinitum...

In addition, my brother, a retired engineer, was lead design and production engineer for one of the largest propane and scuba valve manufacturers in the U.S.  He says, "DON'T DO IT."  Valves fail; propane is heavier than air and will lay on your basement floor.  Invitation to trouble.  Spend the dime, get it plumbed, and put in a natural gas burner.  Life is too precious.

End of sermon.

Thanks Dave concerns noted.  I only have propane available here. For 14 years I was your friendly Sears repairman so replacing.repairing,converting gas valves are a piece of cake. Nothing gets fired up before a soap test.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
For the concern Dave mentioned, I was thinking about that on Thurs.  A fellow Ambex user, javagonzo, was here to p/u some greens.  He roasts in his garage because of the propane concerns.  The way I see it, if the valve on the tank is faulty, the ball valve on the roaster would have to fail too, as well as the solenoid valve inside the roaster before there was any propane leakage.  It would be wise however, to do a soap test on the hoses from time to time.  All in all, I don't see the danger of using a propane roaster as any greater danger than a natural gas roaster.  It's the storage of propane tanks indoors, with their potential of faulty valves that I'd see as the greatest risk.

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
For the concern Dave mentioned, I was thinking about that on Thurs.  A fellow Ambex user, javagonzo, was here to p/u some greens.  He roasts in his garage because of the propane concerns.  The way I see it, if the valve on the tank is faulty, the ball valve on the roaster would have to fail too, as well as the solenoid valve inside the roaster before there was any propane leakage.  It would be wise however, to do a soap test on the hoses from time to time.  All in all, I don't see the danger of using a propane roaster as any greater danger than a natural gas roaster.  It's the storage of propane tanks indoors, with their potential of faulty valves that I'd see as the greatest risk.

I agree with both Dave and Peter.  Roasting with propane indoors should not be done at home.  We are trained professionals and know the risks. 

BTW.  My basement is a dailight basement and there is a door to the back yard at ground level.  My roaster is next to that door. So if there is a leak the propane can get out.   But don't do it at hame.

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
Is it a sin to lust after another mans roaster??? It sure is sweet looking!  :)

ronburleson

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
When i got my Ambex I went looking for a table to put it on. I got a stainless steel table at Sam's Club and cut the legs down. It cost me about $120.00. It has worked fine. I left the casters on and it is convenient. I like that I can sit on astool and watch the flame. I adjust as I roast and I like to keep an eye on it.

I use propane but roast in front of my open garage door with it venting outside. Being in So Cal the weather is not a problem. I need to find a chaff collector because if there is a breeze I get chaff all over the garage floor when I am done.

Ron

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »
I set my propane bottle outside of the shop, run about 6’ of  ¾ copper tubing, leak tested works great, not that big of a job. The Propane delivery guy retested my work just to be safe. Next project is to run a vent pipe up threw the ceiling, been using a dryer vent hose a little pain rolling up after I roast.  Soon I hope to find the time to get a permanent vent system installed thinking a 10 inch doubled wall exhaust pipe just in case I want to bump up to a 5 Kilo roaster some day. Been busy as hell roasting over 100 lbs last week at 2 kilo at a time, need to do another 30 lbs before the week end, will be glad when the holidays are over. Congrats on your looks like new Ambex 2K, will make your Holiday roasting a breeze. I don’t have a Ambex have a Turkish roaster and I love it.

Ray T

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
Finished the table ,new regulator installed all systems a go. Tomorrow is the big day in between building a new pump house  ;D