Author Topic: Ambex 2K Roaster / Q&A / Tips and Tricks  (Read 4818 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Ambex 2K Roaster / Q&A / Tips and Tricks
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
Glorious flames!  All bow to the glorious flames!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
When i got my Ambex I went looking for a table to put it on. I got a stainless steel table at Sam's Club and cut the legs down. It cost me about $120.00. It has worked fine. I left the casters on and it is convenient. I like that I can sit on astool and watch the flame. I adjust as I roast and I like to keep an eye on it.

I use propane but roast in front of my open garage door with it venting outside. Being in So Cal the weather is not a problem. I need to find a chaff collector because if there is a breeze I get chaff all over the garage floor when I am done.

Ron

Thanks for the tip about the table! I picked one up yesterday and set it up today after cutting down the legs. Looks great and the size seems just about perfect for use along with a laptop for roast monitoring or control.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
For those of you tempted to adjust the Maxitrol valve. Do it! It has made my roast control way easier than resetting the set point over and over. Once 1st crack hits or is about to hit, I turn the gas way down so I get a nice slow and steady rise of temp. I will have to play with the max setting of the honeywell now since I need to find a more linear response between the Maxitrol valve and the Honeywell regulator.

As a side note, I have made some great progress with getting Artisan talking to my Watlow PID that I plan on replacing the old unit in the roaster with. I can not turn on and off the control loops using Artisan but can't set a set point due to limitations in the software. Marko, the main developer of Artisan was nice enough to help out and I should be able to update set points soon.

milowebailey

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
I've got to spend the money this year to get the proportioning valve for mine.... I also need a new PID, one button isn't working well anymore.

Ray,

Like the table and set up.... now go roast some coffee.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
Might I make a suggestion...  for those who may be making a similar table, consider adding enough length to place the propane tank on the same platform as the roaster.  If you do need to move the roaster, it'll be much more convenient to move the tank w/ it.

milowebailey

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
Might I make a suggestion...  for those who may be making a similar table, consider adding enough length to place the propane tank on the same platform as the roaster.  If you do need to move the roaster, it'll be much more convenient to move the tank w/ it.

Peter,

Didn't you take note that B|Firemarshall does not approve of using propane indoors.....

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »

Peter,

Didn't you take note that B|Firemarshall does not approve of using propane indoors.....

That's why the table should be big enough for the tank, so that when I roll my table up the basement stairs and roast outside, the tank goes with it.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
Larry, were are purchasing the valve, are they 4-20 ma control or just low/high fire, thinking on doing the same on my system.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:34:12 AM by sea330 »

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
I don't store LP gas tanks inside, mine is outside, run gas line threw the shop wall, feels safer that way.

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
I don't store LP gas tanks inside, mine is outside, run gas line threw the shop wall, feels safer that way.

That is what my brother suggested if guys are going to roast in basement.  Use approved connectors, replacing appropriately, and testing connections with soapy mix every time you roast.  Lines give out and not just when you test them. Up here, with so many sub-freezing days, propane would get too heavy and don't wish to play with hot water tubs, open windows, etc.

B|FM
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:52:26 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
Mine will be converted to natural gas in the next few months.

Ray T

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Well I finally was able to play,I ended up screwing my back up building the pump house,only took 2 days to get where I could even walk. So today I roasted 3 batches. I am in love already. I can't seem to figure out the watlow to hold a temp should be simple but I just don't get it. Roasts ran right into 2nd way fast  ;D

Ray T

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »

Great suggestion on that. The small tank setup is temporary I will be plumbing the propane into the garage from the house supply and the roaster won't be moved after it's set up so that's why I went with a smaller table.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
I will be pulling settings from my Watlow SD soon before swapping it out for a Watlow EZ-Zone RM and I can post them up so you can check yours. I can say that if you want to slow the roast without the variable valve, you will need to change the setpoint more frequently once first crack hits. The rate of rise is lower as the PID gets closer to the setpoint and by letting it get close to a set point and changing it again it never has time to turn on the burners 100% and rocketing it into 2nd. Also, this also means that the frequency of changes determines your rate of rise.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Does anyone know the thread specifications for the stock thermocouples? It would be nice not to have to yank everything out and run to HD to check before ordering up some new ones.