Author Topic: Anyone know ETA/price on new Hottop model?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline reepeter

• Standard User
  • Mijn koffie is maar onvoorstelbaar lekker!!
Anyone know ETA/price on new Hottop model?
« on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
Back in July or so I read about a new Hottop model on Hottop's U.S. website, stating more details were coming, first in Aug/Sep, then Oct/Nov, and then all info on the new roaster went "poof"...

Still something on Hottop's Australian website, but again no further details. Control panel in line with viewing chamber, roasts up to 1 kg/2.2 lbs, no prices yet...

Anyone have more info?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:24:54 PM by Joe »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Anyone know ETA/price on new Hottop model?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
Standard household current, in Austrailia and 'across the pond' typically is 220 Volt I believe.   Here in the US it is 110 Volts.  Roasting a kilo at a shot on 115 Volts might a bit of a challenge to get the heat into it.  Just speculation on my part though.  Typically a receptacle is breakered for 15 Amp, at 120 volt quick calculation is 1800 watts.  Let's lose a few hundred for fans / drum motors / lights etc, still 1500 watts.  Might be doable.

This is something I would definitely be interested in.  Ive been looking for a roaster that I can do back to back pound  plus roasts and would prefer electric (overall less crap to deal with .. gas / propane, regulators etc etc) and this would be right up my alley.  Let's hope IF it comes out, it's not hefting a 3K price tag.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
I lost all interest once I saw the price...it was *a lot*.  Like not double the current HT-- more like an order of magnitude more a lot.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:03:11 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:28:37 AM »
uhh wow, you can get several very good high end roasters for that price. High end roasters that are known and are for 'commercial' quantities.

Oh well, so much for that crushed dream  :'(

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

jimec3

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
That is WAY too much.  Espicially since I highly doubt its ability to roast a lb on 115v....at least not well.  Although I can make my 3k watt roaster dance all over a 900g load.  Maybe if they really are delivering 1500 they could get 450g done proper.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
That is WAY too much.  Espicially since I highly doubt its ability to roast a lb on 115v....at least not well.  Although I can make my 3k watt roaster dance all over a 900g load.  Maybe if they really are delivering 1500 they could get 450g done proper.

$5800 is the cost of a natural gas 1-lb drum roaster from US Roaster Company.  Same price.  Makes me wonder.  This has been in the works for 2-3 years on the prototype.  Did they get so much invested that they pushed forward only to discover, "Man, we have to price this at $5800..." and not realize their competition?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:56:07 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »
Maybe they're banking on the idea that a chunk of us roasters don't want to mess w/ flames and the gas line they'd require.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »
Maybe they're banking on the idea that a chunk of us roasters don't want to mess w/ flames and the gas line they'd require.

Stop it.  <sticks tongue out>.

jimec3

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »

$5800 is the cost of a natural gas 1-lb drum roaster from US Roaster Company.  Same price.  Makes me wonder.  This has been in the works for 2-3 years on the prototype.  Did they get so much invested that they pushed forward only to discover, "Man, we have to price this at $5800..." and not realize their competition?

But how many BTUs does the one lb gas roaster have?

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »

But how many BTUs does the one lb gas roaster have?

Not sure where you are going?  I was referring above to the Hottop being in development so long that they have lost sight of the cost inputs and having to overprice it, in my opinion.

The USRC has 5500 BTUs.  http://usroastercorp.com/sampleroaster.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:40:39 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
But that's a one pound roaster, this one from HotTop is supposed to be able to do a kilo?  More than double the capacity there.  Maybe that is what they were looking at when they priced it??

Aaron

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
But that's a one pound roaster, this one from HotTop is supposed to be able to do a kilo?  More than double the capacity there.  Maybe that is what they were looking at when they priced it??

Aaron

Steve Green has a 1-lb electric unit on the bench that made a believer out of me.  It delivers a fine profile with 10 minutes to 1st crack on a high grown.  If I only knew how to use airflow, I wouldn't have ruined the roast.  Vienna City at 12:30.  1 kilo on electric on this Hottop?  Call me Doubting Thomas.  Maybe Steve will weigh in as he has studied North's arrangement/application of heat on the 1-lb'er.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
BJ this was originally quoted as being in Australia right?  If that's the case then their 'standard' household current is 240 volts out of the wall NOT the 120 us yankees are used to.   That will give double the power for the same amps.  If we can do a pound in ours, they should have no problem doing 2 pounds.

A kitchen is breakered at 20 amps,  240 volts,  thats 4800 watts of power, give a few hundred for motors / fans / etc.   I don't think there will be a problem at all.

On 115 as you stated now, that could be an issue.   What if you did not circulate the air through it as much. Keep more of the heat in.  I know the air flow helps transfer the heat somewhat but what if you kind of recirculated it instead of exchanging it more?  A long shaft motor could easily handle the heat off the moving element of the air mover.   anyways.....

Aaron

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
BJ this was originally quoted as being in Australia right?

Unsure Aaron.

If that's the case then their 'standard' household current is 240 volts out of the wall NOT the 120 us yankees are used to.   That will give double the power for the same amps.  If we can do a pound in ours, they should have no problem doing 2 pounds.

Could be.  For $5800, I believe I would want a gas unit that had the ability to respond more quickly.