Author Topic: Suitable commercial grinder for pour over bar. (Light - med traffic)  (Read 2437 times)

Burner0000

I plan to open a cafe this year to offer manual pour over coffee to the public.  A while back I purchased a used Grindmaster 875 for bulk grinding and pour over but now I have realized 2 things.  One is this used grinder needs new burrs($250-$300). Two Will the steps on a bulk grinder be or large to fine tune for pour over?  Can anyone recommend whether I should stick with a bulk grinder for all uses or look at something like several Vario-W's to grind for a pour over bar.   I plan to serve maybe 50-150 customers a day.

ecc

Re: Suitable commercial grinder for pour over bar. (Light - med traffic)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
+1 Grindmonster.

Burner0000

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 05:54:33 AM »
LOL! Grindmonster it is! None the less I will need to get new burrs because I will for sure be offering bagged coffee.  Maybe I'll look at the results I get.  It's got I think a total of 6 settings Drip, auto and perc 2 x setting each.  Hopefully that will be enough for drip dialing in.   I am contemplating a used stepped doserless Macap to match my espresso grinder dedicated as a pour over grinder.  I can get the Macap M4 doserless for $529.  I don't expect to hit 250 drinks a day (2 per minute) Not sure if the M4 can handle that.  I looked into the Vario's  they wold work but I would be screwed for grind quality if a rush of customers came in.  Right now the "Grindmonster" still looks like the best bet.

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
... I can get the Macap M4 doserless for $529.  I don't expect to hit 250 drinks a day (2 per minute) Not sure if the M4 can handle that.  .  .

Though my M4 is fine for home, I wouldn't want to use a 58mm (M4, M5 or Mazzer Mini) in retail setting. For commercial, I would want an M7 (68mm).  If expense is an issue, I would grab a used 64mm of some brand.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:53:15 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
I am contemplating a used stepped doserless Macap to match my espresso grinder dedicated as a pour over grinder.

I can't see the wisdom is paying for an espresso grinder's capability if you're only doing pourovers.

Also, pourovers aren't so persnickety about their grind settings, and your Grindmaster should be fine.  When you say it needs new burrs, how did you come to that conclusion?  I'll bet it would do fine for a pourover as it is, especially if you use paper filters.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Burner0000

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
... I can get the Macap M4 doserless for $529.  I don't expect to hit 250 drinks a day (2 per minute) Not sure if the M4 can handle that.  .  .

Though my M4 is fine for home, I wouldn't want to use a 58mm (M4, M5 or Mazzer Mini) in retail setting. For commercial, I would want an M7 (68mm).  If expense is an issue, I would grab a used 64mm of some brand.   

My MX has 65mm.  I currently use it to grind in bulk.  I am able to spit out .5 kg in 3-4 min refilling the doser a few times.  A few nights back I was able to do a full 1 kg and the grinder wasn't even warm.  If it can handle that than it could for sure handle a pour over bar.   

So I guess for now new burrs for the grindmonster is top priority and a stepped 65mm+ burr grinder is my back up?

Burner0000

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
I am contemplating a used stepped doserless Macap to match my espresso grinder dedicated as a pour over grinder.

I can't see the wisdom is paying for an espresso grinder's capability if you're only doing pour overs.

Also, pour overs aren't so persnickety about their grind settings, and your Grindmaster should be fine.  When you say it needs new burrs, how did you come to that conclusion?  I'll bet it would do fine for a pour over as it is, especially if you use paper filters.

I reset the burrs a few nights ago and could only get course drip at best dialed down to Turkish (closest grind before touching.)

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

I can't see the wisdom is paying for an espresso grinder's capability if you're only doing pourovers.

Also, pourovers aren't so persnickety about their grind settings, and your Grindmaster should be fine.  When you say it needs new burrs, how did you come to that conclusion?  I'll bet it would do fine for a pourover as it is, especially if you use paper filters.

My bad.  I thought you were going to do espresso as well.  I would just fly with new shoes on the G/M if you are just doing brewed.

Burner0000

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
No just pour over.  I would like to be able to grind for pressurized espresso if a customer wants it. 

Yeah. I'm beginning to think I am over thinking this.  I am gonna focus on getting some new burrs. I'll update when I am able to. Funds are limited for new burrs at the moment.  Thanks everyone for the help. :)

jano

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
+1 Grindmonster.

Just a point of clarification, the 875 is more like a grind monsterling, a lady's grinder, small, dainty, unpretentious.  Same insides, but much more portable than the 500 series monsters.

::) ;D 8)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
+1 Grindmonster.

Just a point of clarification, the 875 is more like a grind monsterling, a lady's grinder, small, dainty, unpretentious.  Same insides, but much more portable than the 500 series monsters.

::) ;D 8)

A mere minion of the true Grindmonster!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jano

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
A mere minion of the true Grindmonster!

Oh no.. Dr. Nefario gene spliced my Grindmonster!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 05:24:47 AM »
No just pour over.  I would like to be able to grind for pressurized espresso if a customer wants it. 

Yeah. I'm beginning to think I am over thinking this.  I am gonna focus on getting some new burrs. I'll update when I am able to. Funds are limited for new burrs at the moment.  Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Are you sure it needs new burrs? If these are the crushing style, they would seem to last a very long time before replacement.

Burner0000

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 05:29:42 AM »
Actually no. :)  I did a tear down and cleaning of the entire burr assembly on Friday.  Did the trick. I am 99% sure there was a misalignment somewhere.  Before the tear down I was getting very inconsistent grinds which I thought was normal for a grinder like this.  Not I am getting finer more consistent grind. Yeesh tho!  So much stale coffee was packed in this machine!  I can also tell there's more in the body of the grinder but that's another rainy day.

I can tell at this point I will probably stick with the monster.