Author Topic: Behmor Cuts Off Too Soon  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Behmor Cuts Off Too Soon
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
My Behmor roaster has lately been turning off in mid roast. I cleaned out the inside as directed, especially where the thermocouplers are. I ran a test roast with an empty chamber on 1/4 lb P1. First it stopped about half through. I unplugged/replugged it, waited a little while, then repeated the test. This time it stopped with about 20 seconds remaining.

I contacted Behmor and am confident that I'll hear from them. But in the meantime, does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Re: Behmor Cuts Off Too Soon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
Did the unit display any error codes after terminating the roast?  Let us know what you find out.

Nope.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Sounds like the control board maybe.  Think they run about 36 bucks or so.     By cut off do you mean turns off completely or goes into cool cycle with time on the timer?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

kboom1

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I had to replace my control board 3 months ago for doing the same thing. Not to hard to change out, Make sure to take pictures of your board before removing wires so you know what wires go where.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
Mine started acting goofy a month or so ago, it's OLD though, so not too suprised.  The coil heater would kick on the moment the thing finished it's cycle.  Now it's not doing that anymore and is behaving.   I havent got to put the board in yet... lazy I guess.   This taught me though to make sure it is unplugged after every use, just to be safe.  I don't need anything deciding to turn on when I am not watching it.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »
Sounds like the control board maybe.  Think they run about 36 bucks or so.     By cut off do you mean turns off completely or goes into cool cycle with time on the timer?

Aaron

Totall off.

jspain

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:29:12 AM »
One of mine did that. I had to replace the board! Took me about 90 minutes to do it on the old model that had soldered connections. The new model is easier to replace. Less than a $30 fix.

Burner0000

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:28 AM »

Aaron

Totall off.

This is a classic sign of control board failure.  Your going to have to replace the control board to fix the problem.  It's cheap. $30

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »
Getting new circuit board.

Burner0000

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:10:20 AM »
Getting new circuit board.

Good stuff. It's really easy to swap out. May only take you 5 minutes.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »
I have found that allot of circuit boards made in china have very poor solder joints, I have had very good luck with shotgunning the board with small soldering iron touching the solder joints just a tiny bit fixes most problems, heat is the enemy of circuit boards, maybe a small fan to move the air a little bit may help. Never was very interested in that type of roasting system but i here it is a great roaster for under $300.00, for me I prefer better control. There are so many variables with coffee the human pid control works best for me. Good luck

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
It takes a little finesee and a light touch to work a board over, I have a electronics background very easy for me, multi layer boards can be a challenge but it can be done.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:20:51 AM by sea330 »

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »
I have found that allot of circuit boards made in china have very poor solder joints, I have had very good luck with shotgunning the board with small soldering iron touching the solder joints just a tiny bit fixes most problems, heat is the enemy of circuit boards, maybe a small fan to move the air a little bit may help. Never was very interested in that type of roasting system but i here it is a great roaster for under $300.00, for me I prefer better control. There are so many variables with coffee the human pid control works best for me. Good luck

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
I have found that allot of circuit boards made in china have very poor solder joints, I have had very good luck with shotgunning the board with small soldering iron touching the solder joints just a tiny bit fixes most problems,...

Is it very simple to do this? I'm not at all handy with tools. Just melt a bit more solder on the existing solder points?

I had been lining the chaff tray with foil to get better heat. Maybe this caused damage.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
Don't add more solder, just touch it, this usually works best, more solder you may end up with a mess and distroy the board, multi layer boards are tricky.