Author Topic: You and your HotTop  (Read 12078 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: You and your HotTop
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
I don't do back to back unless I miss an alarm/auto dump.

And the 20 min wait feels like 3 hours. :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

RobertL

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
Remove the rear filter, chaff tray and bean chute cover while cooling. This will decrease the time between batches to less than ten minutes. I don't think an extra fan is necessary just let the HT fan do its thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SJM

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
20 min wait would be an epic waste of time.

Are you serious?
You don't have anything else to do for 20 minutes?
I am completely amazed that that is possible.
I am never without enough things to do to fill up 20 or 40 or....however minutes are available.
There is no such thing was wasted time....

But that is beside the point.
The real point is that for me that "between roasts time" doesn't register on my personal richter scale.
It's what we call "a non issue...."

Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Well you have chickens, most don't...

SJM

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Ah ha.....I knew I was forgetting something important  ;D

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 08:30:42 PM »
There's nothing worth doing if I had to wait 20 mins in between. Oh wait... there not too many things I'd do if...

smico

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:55 AM »
I am obviously the most vocal advocate of Hottop automation around here. BT, ET, Scotch-Brite scour pad as filter, TC4 + HTC, Variac, multiple thermocouples on motor, electronics area, aluminum foil on the front glass, started reversed air flow ultimate HT modification...  All the way baby.  I really enjoy work on modifications itself, so I understand that my opinion should be discounted.  But I will be happy to help along if you decide to go automation route.
Cheers,
Miroslav

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
I've been wanting to do the reverse airflow and cooling bypass switch but just haven't found multiple consecutive free 20 mins to get started.  Sumbody needs to offer a kit for the lazy...

GC7

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »
To keep things in one place, here is a link to my hot top insulation project. I still use this mod as well as using the insulation to replace the top filter.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10633.0

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »

This is one of the reasons I am excited about installing the TC4 + HTC. Finally I can start the roast at any temp I want, without waiting for the cool down.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

GC7

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »

This is one of the reasons I am excited about installing the TC4 + HTC. Finally I can start the roast at any temp I want, without waiting for the cool down.
So the software uses the temperatures from the thermocouples and picks up the roast or preheating at that point and continues? If true that really is a nice improvement.

smico

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »
Actually, there is no need for TC4 to run back to back. You just need magic button to fool HT into measuring lower temperature. Basically disconnect or short the HT thermocouple, depending on roaster type. After that HT starts new cycle.
When running back to back, you need to be careful about temperature of the drum motor as its temperature builds up. Two roasts are OK, third is a risk, and fourth would probably burn the motor. One solution is to stick additional cheap thermocouple on the motor, monitor its temperature, and start new roast when temp of the motor drops to 60 C. That way you can run as many roasts as you want. I did 10 to 15 consecutive roasts many times.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:52:03 PM by smico »

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
I run the 5 min cooling cycle with the filter out, tray mostly in and bean chute open. I've started working on a higher CFM fan in order to speed up cooling of the unit. Also did a little modding to get the smoke up and away from me.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

Offline CincyDawg

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
I run the 5 min cooling cycle with the filter out, tray mostly in and bean chute open. I've started working on a higher CFM fan in order to speed up cooling of the unit. Also did a little modding to get the smoke up and away from me.

Nice set up. What are you using to come off the Hottop and connect to the metal flex hose? I've been thinking about venting mine for roasting in the basement in the winter and it looks like you've already come up with a solution.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's money" - Alexis de Tocqueville
"A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 09:13:31 AM »
5 inch to 4 inch adapter

I should have done a better job at trimming but I'll use a gasket of some sort and screw it onto the fan housing. I also cut open the fan guard as it's not really needed and was blocking more.

Worst case all I have to buy is a new fan housing and it's back to stock. However after looking at the Huky500 I think I have a better solution which is use an external fan in pull configuration.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running