Author Topic: Baratza Virtuoso Burrs  (Read 1506 times)

Offline fore

• Standard User
Baratza Virtuoso Burrs
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
Do burrs have a limited life span?  I've had this for about 6 yrs and use 3-4x/dy.  I've cleaned the burrs with Grinder cleaner, but it's not feeding the beans well and I have to shake it to get it to cut in.  Wondering if I need to buy new parts?

Thanks!
Chris

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Baratza Virtuoso Burrs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
I have a Virtuoso that may be a year or two younger than yours.  It does the same thing, not feeding the last few beans, especially with medium to large beans.  I don't remember how it was when it was newer w/ fresher burrs, but I'm ascribing the issue to smallish burrs that don't have enough space in the valleys between cutting surfaces.

If you decide to swap out the burrs for new ones, give Baratza a call, and ask them about using Preciso burrs.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Yes. 200 to 300 lbs. After six years probably time. However you might want to make sure that is your reason for the beans not feeding.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
Thanks guys!  I've taken it apart to make sure all's clear already.  The only way to swap out the burrs is to upgrade to the Preciso burr and new gearbox:  https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6400
$50 not bad.  Appreciate the help!
Chris

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
I just saw the same page, Chris.  But in their troubleshooting section for the Virtuoso they offer this tip to slow down the burrs if large or oily beans won't feed properly.

Look at the circuit board. You will notice a bright orange square with a Phillips screw insert. This is a
potentiometer. Turning it clockwise increases motor speed, turning it counterclockwise redu
ces motor
speed. Reducing the motor speed helps greatly when using dark, oily, or large beans.

That might be worth a try.

I'm thinking about doing the upgrade to the new burrs/gearset.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
Check also the retAining collar. If any side are broken off it will not feed correctly
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Tourman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
The Virtuoso has become my back-up grinder since getting the Vario, but I used to have a heck of a time with bouncing beans. During grinding the beans would ricochet like pinballs when they'd get down to the burrs. I did the slow-down Peter mentions and it took care of it. If you have taken it apart and gotten the compacted fines, oils, etc out of the burr area...it just may need new burrs.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Yeah, a wimp coffee drinker who only roasts to a 'full roast +', it's not that oily.  I've ordered the newer burrs.  Thanks.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Got the new gear and burrs in...much sharper, and, it sounds like it's about to take off!  It was already kinda loud, but wow...it growls lol  Grinds great though.