Author Topic: 2# Sonofresco, Like New, $2200  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: 2# Sonofresco, Like New, $2200
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »
What's the availability of parts like on them?

They may be cheap  reasonable but if they are a sob to find parts for when they break and / or customer service totally stinks then that would be a big factor why some might pass them up.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »

They may be cheap  reasonable but if they are a sob to find parts for when they break and / or customer service totally stinks then that would be a big factor why some might pass them up.

Aaron

super easy and in USA I think Washington state actually. Parts are plentiful somewhat expensive but not disproportionally so. Customer service is better than expected.

i personally think people get overly hung up on the Drum vs. Air roasting deal, one way or the other. I wouldn't hesitate to get an Ambex or Probat if the price was within a shot of the Sonofresco. Like i said it makes sense when you are getting into their bigger roasters, assuming you are roasting coffee in those amounts means they are making money. But on the smaller commercial batch sizes even at full retail the sonofresco is a steal.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »

Aaron

This is my 2nd Sonofresco. The factory has all the parts and the machine is very serviceable and easy to work on. Regarding customer service... 100% top notch from the office to tech support.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:35:32 PM by Smksignals »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »

Aaron

super easy and in USA I think Washington state actually. Parts are plentiful somewhat expensive but not disproportionally so. Customer service is better than expected.

i personally think people get overly hung up on the Drum vs. Air roasting deal, one way or the other. I wouldn't hesitate to get an Ambex or Probat if the price was within a shot of the Sonofresco. Like i said it makes sense when you are getting into their bigger roasters, assuming you are roasting coffee in those amounts means they are making money. But on the smaller commercial batch sizes even at full retail the sonofresco is a steal.

Two thoughts come to mind.

For an aspiring roaster, who knows he wants to end up roasting on a 10K or larger, a 2K Ambex will teach him skills that wouldn't carry over from a Sono.  Not that big a deal, but applicable.

In the long run, I'd bet my Ambex is cheaper to use and own.  I can roast 25# of coffee on a lb. of propane.  Compare that to how many kilowatts a Sono would use for 25#.  And, for the three years I've owned it, I have put zero parts/repairs into it.  A Sono has annual servicing needs (I don't know that for a fact, but read it here recently).  And for the 4-5 years that barko78 owned my roaster and used it for thousands of lbs., I don't believe he replaced any motors, valves, bearings, etc.  Try running a Sono for 10,000lbs. and add up the costs, and then realize my Ambex is good for another 10,000lbs.

Then look at the capacity issues.  Smksignals has himself a 2# roaster, and you have either a 2# or a 1#.  If that's a capacity you can live with and can roast what you need for a week in a couple hours, that's great.  But what do you want to roast with if you need 100# per week?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »

Aaron

Two thoughts come to mind.

For an aspiring roaster, who knows he wants to end up roasting on a 10K or larger, a 2K Ambex will teach him skills that wouldn't carry over from a Sono.  Not that big a deal, but applicable.

In the long run, I'd bet my Ambex is cheaper to use and own.  I can roast 25# of coffee on a lb. of propane.  Compare that to how many kilowatts a Sono would use for 25#.  And, for the three years I've owned it, I have put zero parts/repairs into it.  A Sono has annual servicing needs (I don't know that for a fact, but read it here recently).  And for the 4-5 years that barko78 owned my roaster and used it for thousands of lbs., I don't believe he replaced any motors, valves, bearings, etc.  Try running a Sono for 10,000lbs. and add up the costs, and then realize my Ambex is good for another 10,000lbs.

Then look at the capacity issues.  Smksignals has himself a 2# roaster, and you have either a 2# or a 1#.  If that's a capacity you can live with and can roast what you need for a week in a couple hours, that's great.  But what do you want to roast with if you need 100# per week?

1. good point but if you're gonna drop $15k on a roaster and a bag of coffee in, I bet you go through some free training from the roaster ;D. Now if you want some practice before your next roaster job, then I would suggest get a job as a barista first and then hang around the roasters and cross train.

2. Electricity? none? other than the computer and ignitor but that would be negligible. propane or natural gas- no electric roaster sonofresco so I would go several months on a single propane. Now I have natural gas which is....so amazing.

3. My annual servicing needs is $150 per 2-3 years lately (last 3 years) it's been nill, on a used unit. so I guess you can if you aren't careful damage the thermocouple($75) or crack the glass($100-200). I had an ignitor fail once $150. But it would take a whole heck of a lot to use that for justification. In the around 10 years I have owned a son fresco I have replaced the thermo couple twice, the glass once and the ignitor once....definitely lot's of coffee has moved through the roaster.

4. Capacity is where the sonofresco actually is deceptively awesome. I run a lb and I know what setting I like, then i have a choice; I can do dishes, laundry, run a few miles, make an espresso, watch some tv. Put the lb- 2 lbs in the bag, quick clean, repeat every 20 min. You can roast several lbs with a 2lb er in a couple hours and still have a lot done. In other words with the right precautions I don't have to babysit the roast. Sure I can make sure things are good but if it's cleaned there isn't any worries.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:48:18 PM by Joe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Thats good to know about them.  Back towards the OT.  For the all electric model, can they supply the BTU's to do the coffee right without dragging out the roast overly long?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Thats good to know about them.  Back towards the OT.  For the all electric model, can they supply the BTU's to do the coffee right without dragging out the roast overly long?

Aaron

There is no all-electric model.
http://www.sonofresco.com/coffee-roasters/compare-roasters/

Who said anything about all electric?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
I thought John F did early in the post?

Let me go recheck.

Aaron

Edit:   OK, misread it,  THEY switched to all electric.   Never mind.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:43:04 AM by Ascholten »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »
So it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why a personal roaster or even a small business roaster would look past a sonofresco on the way to an Ambex, or dietrich, Us Roaster, etc..unless the business justified it.
It probably comes down to personal taste. The Sonofresco roasts are brighter than a drum roast
Curly

Not to mention perforated drums roast differently than solid drums.

Like Peter said it's a can of worms..
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 06:17:45 AM »
So it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why a personal roaster or even a small business roaster would look past a sonofresco on the way to an Ambex, or dietrich, Us Roaster, etc..unless the business justified it.
It probably comes down to personal taste. The Sonofresco roasts are brighter than a drum roast
Curly

Not to mention perforated drums roast differently than solid drums.

Like Peter said it's a can of worms..

Not that I've been around zillions of commercial roasters, but I think 99% of them are solid.  Mine has holes in the vertical surface at the back of the drum to allow air passage through the drum, but I don't think the flames have access to the beans in the typical drum.

I wouldn't want a roaster that's "set it and forget it"; I wouldn't trust the machine to know better than me, unless it was a computer running the profile and I could know or set the program.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
Interesting discussion. I'll put in my $.02 worth. This is what works for me. Your mileage may vary. :)

I LOVE my Sonofresco's. I have a 1lb natural gas and now a 2lb propane version. I know roasting coffee can be a science, but I am not a scientist. I don't need to tweak my roast to get the last hint of jasmine, honeysuckle, or grapefruit zest out of the taste. If I was shooting for those flavors I'd drink tea. I like my coffee to taste like coffee. And I can do that with the Sonofresco.

I love the simplicity of my Sonofresco's. I like Colombian, Brazilian, and Bolivian coffees. I set it, but don't forget it. I stay close to keep an eye on the roast. I can easily roast the beans to Full City or Full City+ which is the perfect level of roast for my wife and I. We drink solely brewed coffee. Not espresso.

Regarding capacity I bought the 1lb roaster for personal roasting. I bought the 2nd to maybe try my hand at selling coffee at the farmers market. With both roasters up and running I can roast 9 lbs an hour. After a couple of 3 hour evenings I will have 50lbs for the market.

Anyways, there's my thoughts. Thanks for letting me play. :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
I should probably get a 1lb gas roaster and a 1lb Sono and melage blend.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
I should probably get a 1lb gas roaster and a 1lb Sono and melage blend.  ;D

The sono is a gas roaster.... >:( >:( ::)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
My bad... the start of this thread confused me by bringing all electric into this conversation.

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
I wouldn't want a roaster that's "set it and forget it"; I wouldn't trust the machine to know better than me, unless it was a computer running the profile and I could know or set the program.

you can do that too if you really want to. I actually like the presets and think they do a great job. Adding a computer to the mix seems like a waste to me.

Here is the computer controlled package: Advanced definition roasting

Remember one of the guys that invented the sonofresco was an aerospace engineer. I'd like to think it's looking at a problem from a much different angle. I like that Nissan Leaf commercial where the guy says if the car was invented today it would be electric.