Author Topic: Bullet R1  (Read 23998 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Bullet R1
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Well, you will be paying import duties one way or the other.  If you do decide to order directly from Taiwan, DHL is very good with handling the import duties (I was one of the pre-release buyers, and imported my Bullet directly from Taiwan), but going through SM will provide you with that extra layer of support.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline Benjamin

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
Well, you will be paying import duties one way or the other.  If you do decide to order directly from Taiwan, DHL is very good with handling the import duties (I was one of the pre-release buyers, and imported my Bullet directly from Taiwan), but going through SM will provide you with that extra layer of support.

And 8# of "free" greens!

But actually, the cost of the roaster is the exact same on the Aillio site and SM, the only difference being that ordering direct from Aillio there's a currency conversion charge and import duties. I suppose it's possible that SM ups the cost even more once they get their shipment, though.

Well, and the fact that the Bullets are actually IN STOCK on the Aillio website.
Behmor 1600+
Orphan Espresso Lido E
Moka (6+12), Fr. Press

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
Oh, well then, buy from SM!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline Stubbie

• Standard User
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »

Raising this thread from the dead to announce I'm also a new owner - have only done my seasoning roasts so far, but very excited to move up from the SC/TC I've been toiling over since selling my commercial roaster back in '15. I also bought directly form Aillio and it only took 6 business days to show up at my door from Taiwan. I've noticed with the IRBT the temps are about 20 degrees higher than the bean probe - which one do you use?

-Stubbie

Offline Yak

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »

Raising this thread from the dead to announce I'm also a new owner - have only done my seasoning roasts so far, but very excited to move up from the SC/TC I've been toiling over since selling my commercial roaster back in '15. I also bought directly form Aillio and it only took 6 business days to show up at my door from Taiwan. I've noticed with the IRBT the temps are about 20 degrees higher than the bean probe - which one do you use?

-Stubbie

Hi Stubbie, how goes the roasting on the Bullet? I upgraded from a Behmor in 2019 so I didn't have any previous experience with bean temps to worry about so I focus mainly on the IBTS temps and now the IBTS RORs when I roast. The IR temps are higher, but using the landmarks of full yellow and first crack I can navigate the roasts well. My first crack usually starts at 211 C on the IBTS.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2021, 06:25:50 AM »
Nice pic, Yakster.  And welcome back!

Something tells me there are a few add-ons to your roaster that weren't stock.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Yak

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2021, 10:02:59 PM »
You have a keen eye, Peter. I was just asked that question on another forum while I was posting about what I was smoking in my pipe and here's a cut-and-paste of my reply. I also tried sticking a metal kazoo into the trier hole near first crack with some high temperature flue tape around the funnel but it didn't make enough difference to keep using it.

I added the metal wings that I cut from an disposable aluminum pan to the front to guide the coffee into the cooling tray in front. Others have 3D printed some bean guides or made them out more substantial bent metal pieces. I found a stir chef at a thrift store and modded it to fit so that the beans cool faster in the cooling tray. I bought an LED book lamp with adjustable color temperature to replace the LED light that came with the roaster to get a better view of the actual color of the beans. I connect the roaster to a Variac with a Kill-A-Watt attached to compensate for any voltage drop to make sure that it gets 120 V AC. I also added a flexible duct to the range hood I hung in my garage to suck out the smoke from roasting.

Offline Yak

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2021, 10:13:10 PM »
Oh, and Royal Crown posted on another forum: "We also just got a Bullet at The Crown - looking forward to roasting along with you all!

We'll be publishing to roast.world coffee profiles, as well as the usual posts on our website. Let us know if you have any specific requests on roast style!"

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2021, 02:05:53 AM »
Well they are a day late and a few years short Id' say :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Stubbie

• Standard User
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »

-Stubbie

Hi Stubbie, how goes the roasting on the Bullet? I upgraded from a Behmor in 2019 so I didn't have any previous experience with bean temps to worry about so I focus mainly on the IBTS temps and now the IBTS RORs when I roast. The IR temps are higher, but using the landmarks of full yellow and first crack I can navigate the roasts well. My first crack usually starts at 211 C on the IBTS.

Yakster! I'm really enjoying the Bullet, especially the larger batch size. Now, I get my 2 weeks worth of coffee roasted in 45 mins instead of 2+ hours on the SC/TO. I'm still trying to dial it in - the coffee I'm producing is decent, but not quite what the cupping notes are calling for. Actually, when I tried to emulate the roasting style of the SC/TO with heat application has given the best results.

Roast.world still seems pretty buggy to me. I don't think it's pulling from my inventory when I perform a roast, but that is just a side effect of this roaster that will hopefully work better in the future. I haven't downloaded, or tried to emulate anyone else's roast yet either. Hope to figure that out soon...

Stubbie