Author Topic: "Intro" Espresso Machine?  (Read 2312 times)

winchestercoffee

"Intro" Espresso Machine?
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Any tips for a newbie to espresso on what to get? I'd like to stay sub $100 if I can but it looks like my choices are Krups... or Krups =\

Any help?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: "Intro" Espresso Machine?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
That price range will lock you into a steam-toy, and if you want to experiment with one you'll do well to consider thrift shops.  They're usually a few to choose from at the places I scrounge at.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
An introduction espresso machine ... probably the best is a Gaggia Coffee.  If you look around or maybe ask here if anyone has a used one they are looking at getting rid of for around $100.00.  It has the features that are very desirable that machines that cost many times its cost have.  CoffeGeek also have a BST forum that you should check out.

Hope that helps.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

thejavaman

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
This DeLonghi machine (http://www.wholelattelove.com/DeLonghi/delonghiEC140B.cfm) is about the cheapest pump driven espresso machine I've seen.  Don't ask me to comment about the quality of the machine though, because I've never used one. 

IMHO, you should wait until you've saved enough money for a decent machine instead of going out and buying the cheapest one you can find.  If you don't do this, you will ultimately be disappointed with the quality of espresso you will be getting.  Also, if you don't already have a quality espresso grinder, you should devote at least half of your budget to getting one as it is almost more important than the machine in getting good espresso.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:39:01 PM by thejavaman »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »
Any tips for a newbie to espresso on what to get? I'd like to stay sub $100 if I can but it looks like my choices are Krups... or Krups =\

Any help?
You can usually get a low-level gaggia pump machine for under $100 on eBay.  If you are spending less than $300 for your espresso machine, the quality of the grinder is far more important.  With a good grinder [one that gives consistent particle size], you can make better coffee with a stovetop MokaPot than you can with a $250 Saeco or Starbucks machine and a cheap burr grinder or whirlyblade.

If I was limited to $100, I would get the $10 3-demitasse mokapot and a Baratza Maestro burr mill.

If you shop around, you can probably find a real nice burr grinder (Mazzer, Astoria, Macap, etc) in used condition at a second-hand restaurant supply or on eBay for $150.  That way you will never need another grinder, even when you move from mokapot ($10) to vibratory pump ($50-300) to rotary pump ($400-up) machine.

One caution on the mokapot - roast up 3# of an inexpensive DP Brazil to FC+ or light vienna, and practice getting the loading right.  After you get consistent at loading and have a good idea of how to get a ~35 to 45 second extraction (from the start of flow to the end), you will already have a better beverage than you can buy at 90% of the espresso stands in town.  It takes some practice, and if you don't sit down and get that practice in one or two sessions pulling multiple shots, you will probably get disappointed and disillusioned with the mokapot.  It takes practice to get a good method.  Just make sure that the safety valve doesn't get scaled over, and don't overload or overtamp.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:24 PM »
Heed the word of the coffee oracle. :)

I'll second what BW said. Buy a good burr grinder first and pass on the espresso machine right now if your funds are limited. An inexpensive used Mazer Super Jolly or a Rossi RR45 will last you the rest of your life with a little maintenance and will do more to improve your coffee experience that anything else. When you've got some more $$, Craigslist is usually full of mid-range pump driven espresso machines in the $100-$200 range.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
Heed the word of the coffee oracle. :)

I'll second what BW said...

I third it.  My buying went like this:
^Macap 4 grinder
^Moka pots
^Used Silvia, grabbed off Coffeegeek

Absolutely no regrets.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
Of course, you could always wait for one of Chris' fire sales...not that I know anything about that, or that there's anything wrong with that...

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
Craigslist is usually full of mid-range pump driven espresso machines in the $100-$200 range.

Good thing it isn't where I live...  I would be in deep doodoo with the missus.   Whenever I look at craiglist listings from larger areas (as compared to the turdwallows of E WA state where I live) I get serious envy going on.

cfsheridan

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
Craigslist is usually full of mid-range pump driven espresso machines in the $100-$200 range.

Good thing it isn't where I live...  I would be in deep doodoo with the missus.   Whenever I look at craiglist listings from larger areas (as compared to the turdwallows of E WA state where I live) I get serious envy going on.

Greg--don't you have 2 or 3 rebuilt commercial machines already??!  :P

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

Greg--don't you have 2 or 3 rebuilt commercial machines already??!  :P
The more the merrier!   ;D

cfsheridan

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
The more the merrier!   ;D

Clearly I need to learn some of the Jedi mind tricks you must be using on your wife.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »
BW: (Wearing dirty brown robe) Waves hand. "These aren't the espresso machines you're looking for."

Mrs. BW: (In storm trooper armor and holding blaster rifle) "Those aren't the espresso machines I'm looking for."

BW: "We're free to go now"

Mrs BW: "You're free to go now."

Come to think of it, a vertical domed espresso machine tends to a have bit of an R2D2 look :)

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";