Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Lever Machine  (Read 2908 times)

juker

Re: Thinking of buying a Lever Machine
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
Milo
You will love your Achille. It is capable of amazing shot...
My advice is to get some Scace device and learn the force on the lever needed to produce 9 bar.
Excessive force WILL burst seals and machine will leak. It is downhill from there. The steam knob is a P.O.S. and WILL fail after a dozen uses or so. I can send you one I used on my Achille after original failed. (Pics upon request)

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
Milo
My advice is to get some Scace device and learn the force on the lever needed to produce 9 bar.
Excessive force WILL burst seals and machine will leak. It is downhill from there. The steam knob is a P.O.S. and WILL fail after a dozen uses or so. I can send you one I used on my Achille after original failed. (Pics upon request)

Thanks for the tips.... I probably would have done that.

Let me know what steam knob you used.... photos would be awesome.

juker

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
.... photos would be awesome.
The knob is a generic one: metal core with stopper screw. Will post pic tomorrow...

juker

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
Here you go:

If you want it - it's yours. Just PM me your shipment address

Tex

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Milo

Sounds like the voice of experience. Does the Achille use the standard LP piston & gaskets? If so, is it the brass or plastic piston?

Here's what happens when you try to force a stalled shot with the plastic piston.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:56:03 AM by Tex »

juker

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
Tex
The Achille piston is plastic but not brittle type of plastic and it is not the weakest link of the machine. The cylinder (pos.17 on the diagram you’ve supplied) is made of a brittle plastic. Yes, the piston works on the cold side of the brewing path – it pushes cold water through HX to brew head. The design is very cool (unfortunately implementation is not). The weakest link is gasket (pos.16) that seals the cylinder to dome connection. It could be beefed up (quite tricky to install) but then the one way valves (pos.45-47) becomes an issue. On my machine I reinforced them but then cylinder cracked and that was the end of the road.
Now my Achille is up for grabs as spare parts (sans the cylinder).
I couldn’t compare shot quality to any other lever but my Brewtus III (that replaced Achille) has not treated me yet with the same ‘Awe’ factor as Achille did. Obviously the problem lies on the ‘other end of the portafilter handle’ and I had used them for a year (each) and with the same grinder. Brewtus provides more consistency and convenience though.

Tex

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
Tex
The Achille piston is plastic but not brittle type of plastic and it is not the weakest link of the machine. The cylinder (pos.17 on the diagram you’ve supplied) is made of a brittle plastic. Yes, the piston works on the cold side of the brewing path – it pushes cold water through HX to brew head. The design is very cool (unfortunately implementation is not). The weakest link is gasket (pos.16) that seals the cylinder to dome connection. It could be beefed up (quite tricky to install) but then the one way valves (pos.45-47) becomes an issue. On my machine I reinforced them but then cylinder cracked and that was the end of the road.
Now my Achille is up for grabs as spare parts (sans the cylinder).
I couldn’t compare shot quality to any other lever but my Brewtus III (that replaced Achille) has not treated me yet with the same ‘Awe’ factor as Achille did. Obviously the problem lies on the ‘other end of the portafilter handle’ and I had used them for a year (each) and with the same grinder. Brewtus provides more consistency and convenience though.

I only had two weeks to play with my friends Achille, and he wouldn't let me tear it apart. That's the same plastic piston used in pre-Millennium Europiccola models. Since they're not subjected to heat in the Achille, they might not break - but I've seen three LP's that've had their pistons broken, including one of mine. Fortunately, Parts Guru has the brass replacement piston for not much money.

What I don't see in the diagram is the HX itself - how large is it & how's it positioned in the boiler?

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »

EricBNC

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
Market may be played out on Creminas in the short-term. A clean, well-maintained '89 went for $660 this morning.  I got capped out at $650.  There is no telling what the other person might have gone to but this is about $400 below the price at which these have been circulating at in the last 3 months.

Interesting auction to watch.  Buyer had a reserve on it.  Number of bidders dips when there is a reserve. When an item is popular or crazed as is the Cremina, putting a reserve on it doesn't work.  Folks lose interest when their bid doesn't reach the threshold and guys don't save the item to monitor for future reference.  If he hadn't used a reserve, it would have gone for $1000+.

Reserve pricing makes sense for low item interest, but not on a Cremina.

B|Java
One just went for almost $1500 with shipping - at 2 minutes to go the price was $1000. It did look like a nice example though.

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 03:31:10 AM »
One just went for almost $1500 with shipping - at 2 minutes to go the price was $1000. It did look like a nice example though.

Yes, I watch eBay sales on Cremina and flag them -- the last two bids were absurd but I doubt that the bidders would agree with me.  I am sure their logic is that is what they would pay for a new Elektra lever so...

B|Java