Author Topic: Would a Kitchenaid Proline be an upgrade to a Capresso Infiniti grinder?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Would a Kitchenaid Proline be an upgrade to a Capresso Infiniti grinder?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
I ended up buying the KA Proline. I'll do a side by side with my Infiniti and see which one does the best. I will keep the better performing grinder and sell the other one. I still plan on picking up a higher end grinder at some point in the future, when I find a great deal on something.

For the KA PL owners out there: can you give me an idea of the grind settings that you use for the various brewing methods (pour over, vac pot, press pot, etc). This will give me a reference point to start from. Thanks in advance.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
When you take the two screws off the front, and pull that whole grind indicator housing off, there's supposedly a white plastic wheel w/ teeth.  It can be set to either of two positions, and will offset the entire grind range by a notch, either coarser or finer.

I don't know which way mine's set, but I have it on 7 (7.5 & 8) being the finest, and I just leave it there.  I mainly do french press.

What's this?  Ya can't type an 8) without it looking like sunglasses?

OK, we'll try that again.  Ya can't type an eight...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:55:27 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

bibletec

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
I use the Newco brewer and use a grind set of 6.5

Jeffo

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
8)

Let me tell you all, you have no idea what a truly remarkable man Jeffo really is.  He has talent oozing out of his fingertips.  I didn't think it could be done, but should've known if anyone could type an 8) it would be him.  I am blessed and privileged to be among his acquaintances.

Jeffo

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
And I thought I was a master of nothing. Now I'm a master of 8. Although I'm not sure what's going on here.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 07:25:25 AM »
I pulled the KA PL out of the box this morning to try it out at work. Ground the normal amount of coffee on setting 7. Not long after the brewing started the coffee grounds and water started spilling out of the filter basket on the Bunn coffee maker here at work. Obviously a 7 is way to fine for a drip maker. I cut it back to 5 and I will try again later today.

On the bright side the grind, quality looked great. The ground coffee was very "fluffy" and it looked to be a much more consistent grind than my Capresso. The grinder is built like a tank and it's very aesthetically pleasing to looks at.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
On the bright side the grind, quality looked great. The ground coffee was very "fluffy" and it looked to be a much more consistent grind than my Capresso.

How old are the Capresso's burrs?  That may have something to do with it.  When I stacked my KA PL, with it's 18-month-old burrs against a brand new Saeco Titan the Titan ground fluffier.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »
On the bright side the grind, quality looked great. The ground coffee was very "fluffy" and it looked to be a much more consistent grind than my Capresso.

How old are the Capresso's burrs?  That may have something to do with it.  When I stacked my KA PL, with it's 18-month-old burrs against a brand new Saeco Titan the Titan ground fluffier.

I bought the Capresso new. I don't know how much use the KA burs have seen.

EDIT:
I just heard back from the previous owner. It seems he only used the grinder for 2 weeks and said probably less that 10# of beans have been through the KA.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:19:51 AM by headchange4u »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 08:37:18 AM »
When you take the two screws off the front, and pull that whole grind indicator housing off, there's supposedly a white plastic wheel w/ teeth.  It can be set to either of two positions, and will offset the entire grind range by a notch, either coarser or finer.

I read the manual and went and re adjusted the white wheel for coarser grinds. It was set for really fine grinding. That was probably why it choked the drip brewer this morning.

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 01:14:05 PM »
You guys are grinding very fine for drip coffee! I set my KA Proline on 3.5 to grind for my Technivorm MochaMaster.
I did not adjust the little plastic ring.  I started out at a 4.5 setting when I first got it and have gradually moved down to a 3.5 because the Technivorm brews at the right temp. This produces an excellent cup of coffee for me.

As for build and quality, I've ground significantly more than 50 lbs in the year that I've owned it and have had no problems at all. Just three days ago I ground 22 lbs in one session through that thing and it held up excellently! (see the Redneck Christmas Grinding thread) It got a little warm but it's still goin' strong.
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
Since this thread was bumped I'll give an update on the KA. To be honest, I'm not to impressed with the grind quality. I have adjusted the plastic wheel in every direction and I have taken it apart and cleaned everything thoroughly. I've tried grind settings from 3 to 8 and everything in between. I can't seem to get the same size grind that I get from my Capresso set at the coarsest medium setting, which I have been using for pour over brewing. The KA always produces a grind that is either  too fine or too course. It does give a good grind overall but the are always some very large chucks of beans floating around in the mix. It doesn't seem to be nearly as consistent of a grind as my Capresso. I will agree that the KA is beautiful to look at and built like a tank.

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
I had the Capresso for almost a year I liked it alot acutally. But when I got upgraditis I went for the Macap M4 stepped doserless. I dont even have an espresso machine but I would do that deal again in a heartbeat. I love my Macap. I got it right here at GCBC for 295$ shipped.

Steve