Author Topic: Worn burrs?  (Read 1361 times)

johnr

Worn burrs?
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »
So I have a Baratza Virtuoso that I've been using for about 15 months or so. I can't really say how many pounds I've put through it (100?) but it gets used for all non-espresso grinding duties. Recently I've started bringing coffee to work, where we use a buddy's Virtuoso to grind primarily for AP use. His Virtuoso is newer and has very few hours on it (it was basically collecting dust before he brought it in). I've noticed that AP cups are brighter, sweeter, just plain better, at work. There are other variables in play here, namely a newer AP (man, the plunger rubber is stiff on the new one!) and different water (spring water in both cases, just different sources)... of the three variables, I was leaning towards worn burrs on my Virtuoso but what do you guys think? Irrespective, what is the expected lifetime of the Virtuoso burrs? They're dirt cheap ($28) so it's a no-brainer to replace them but still...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Worn burrs?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »
Can you exchange grinders for a week?

I had a Solis Maestro for over a year that I thought needed new burrs so I replace top and bottom.  It probably had about the same amount of beans run through it as yours.  The new burrs didn't seem to help much.

I think the easiest way to compare and remove those other variables is to ask if you can swap grinders and use his at home, and use yours at work.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
I can't imagine the grind making that much of a difference in an Aeropress.  How 'bout the water?

Tex

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »
I can't imagine the grind making that much of a difference in an Aeropress.  How 'bout the water?

I can - if there's too many fines in the grind the paper filter will plug completely! The Aeropress is almost as picky about grind as an espresso machine.

johnr

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
How 'bout the water?

Different mineral content maybe? What about heating environment? Would open kettle vs. closed boiler (I use a fancy, overpriced Zoji at home) make a significant difference?

Good suggestion peter, I may do that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:06:39 AM by johnr »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »
...what is the expected lifetime of the Virtuoso burrs?

Check the burrs for excessive wear by removing the top burr carrier & brushing the burr with a stiff brush to clean it. Then drag your thumbnail over the burr edges - if your nail digs in the burrs are fine. If you feel no drag spend the $$ and replace the burrs.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »
Different mineral content maybe? What about heating environment? Would open kettle vs. closed boiler (I use a fancy, overpriced Zoji at home) make a significant difference?

Good suggestion peter, I may do that.

You might want to bring home a sample of water from the office too while you're at it.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »
I don't have one of these, but I do know that with the 63mm class machines like Super Jolly's and Rossi RR45's the burrs are rated for 600 or so pounds of beans.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";