Author Topic: mypressi TWIST: World's First Truly Portable Espresso Machine.  (Read 5727 times)

Tex

Re: mypressi TWIST: World's First Truly Portable Espresso Machine.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
Can you guys fly on an airplane with those little gas cartridges?
I've heard they're not allowed on airplanes, checked or carryon altogether.

Seems the answer is Yes

Here is the TSA site

Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)     Carry-on - Yes    Checked baggage - Yes

Edit:  I found this link, so the answer is yes hmmm still don't know... I'll call and find out

IIRC, it's long been FAA policy that compressed air containers of any kind are specifically verboten in checked or carry on luggage.

milowebailey

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
mypressi twist has arrived!!

milowebailey

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:25 AM »
I pulled 2 shots with the TWIST last night.  1st shot I didn't have the grind right and it was a little underextracted.  With a slight adjustment to the grind and I had a great shot.  I pulled one also with my Brasilia at the same time as the 2nd shot and compared the two.

The TWIST was a little brighter, but still good.  The Brasilia was creamier.  For a travel machine it think the TWIST will be great.

The key will be to get a good source of hot-enough water.  I used water from my hot-water tap on the Brasilia and pre-heated all the metal parts of the TWIST.  The only issue is the small O-ring for the N2O fell out during the pre-heat.  Care needs to be taken to make sure it doesn't wash down the drain.  I plan to have extras on-hand.

I'll try and get a few photo tonight of both the Brasilia and TWIST.

I'm looking forward to comparing the TWIST to the Handpresso.

more to come.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »

Yeah... I'm looking for your thoughts on that.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
I pulled 2 shots with the TWIST last night.  1st shot I didn't have the grind right and it was a little underextracted.  With a slight adjustment to the grind and I had a great shot.  I pulled one also with my Brasilia at the same time as the 2nd shot and compared the two.

The TWIST was a little brighter, but still good.  The Brasilia was creamier.  For a travel machine it think the TWIST will be great.

The key will be to get a good source of hot-enough water.  I used water from my hot-water tap on the Brasilia and pre-heated all the metal parts of the TWIST.  The only issue is the small O-ring for the N2O fell out during the pre-heat.  Care needs to be taken to make sure it doesn't wash down the drain.  I plan to have extras on-hand.

I'll try and get a few photo tonight of both the Brasilia and TWIST.

more to come.

As long as you don't get caught smuggling the compressed air cartridges aboard the plane! >:D

edit: Response to my inquiry.

Hi Robert,

You are correct, gas cartridges are not allowed on flights by FAA, unless you have a life vest with you, then you can carry two spares N2O cartridges for it. However I doubt most people do or would want to go through this hassle of getting one :), otherwise they cannot be checked in or carried on. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Ayub

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:59:44 AM by Tex »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
Saw this over at Jim Seven's blog:
http://www.jimseven.com/2010/01/23/mypressi-twist/

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »

Interesting... he should have tried sugar for a Cuban coffee.

You see this Milo?  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:46 AM »

Interesting... he should have tried sugar for a Cuban coffee.

You see this Milo?  8)

I wish I had it with me this weekend.... I like the idea of a Macciatto using steamed milk... may have to try that.  Or pull a double shot through some chocolate... I suspect for Baristas... he's right, they could certainly think up some cool things.

thejavaman

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about the new PRESSO "espresso" (notice the quotations  ;)) maker?

milowebailey

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about the new PRESSO "espresso" (notice the quotations  ;)) maker?

I laugh at the "green" marketing "needs no electricity".... but you still have to heat water somehow.

I like the look of though.

thejavaman

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »

I laugh at the "green" marketing "needs no electricity".... but you still have to heat water somehow.

I like the look of though.

I didn't even notice that.  All about marketing, I guess.   :-\

I am curious how the cup would taste though.....