Author Topic: $129. The Twist espresso machine  (Read 2120 times)

garybt3

$129. The Twist espresso machine
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »
Saw this article this morning:

http://topics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/a-magic-wand-for-espresso/

Snipped from article:

'All espresso machines require a little manipulating, and even if the Twist doesn’t match the espresso from professional-level machines it easily outperforms every home espresso machine this side of Rancilio’s Silvia. I would take the Twist over anything made by FrancisFrancis!, Krups, or other similar model made for the kitchen countertop.

And it’s not just because of cost, even though most of those retail for $300 and up, while the Twist will sell for a reasonable $129. It’s because the Twist makes better espresso.

For the time being the Twist is just a prototype, and won’t be on the market until early this fall. (I wish I had one two weeks ago, when I was driving through West Virginia, a state with a bounty of ramps and not much in the way of coffee.) But the coffee community is taking note. The Twist won an award at the Specialty Coffee Association of America conference in Atlanta last week.'

Now why didn't I think of that  ???

I wonder if we will get to see Billy Mayes demonstrating this on the show 'Pitchmen' ? ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: $129. The Twist espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
Oh No?!?! JohnF and his tinfoil, bamboo espresso wonder have competition!!! John??!.. triple the R&D department budget and get that thing to market before fall....

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
There's some pics and a video in this thread:
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=6187.0

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »
Oh No?!?! JohnF and his tinfoil, bamboo espresso wonder have competition!!! John??!.. triple the R&D department budget and get that thing to market before fall....

I just ordered one part for my SSE1 an hour ago that cost 33% of the Twist.... I'm off to a bad start.  :-\

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

garybt3

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »
I do not remember headchange4u posting that... :-\
Somehow I missed the entire thread.

I hate it when my day job interferes with my semi-normal real life. I'm gonna have to get another class from Bruce Wayne on juggling duel identities  ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I just ordered one part for my SSE1 an hour ago that cost 33% of the Twist.... I'm off to a bad start.  :-\

Careful John ... you can soon be out of the ball park of a manufactured machine.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »
Careful John ... you can soon be out of the ball park of a manufactured machine.

Did you know that E-61 group heads cost about $650?

Did you know that each tiny relay or switch costs about $18?

A manufactured machine is looking SUPER cheap to me about now.......but my head is full of fancy ideas.  :-X
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 05:58:10 PM »
Open yourself an account with ASCASO of Spain. Complete Faema E61 groups sell wholesale for ~$130. The catch is they have a 300 euro minimum order - no problem if you're building a machine from scratch.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Open yourself an account with ASCASO of Spain. Complete Faema E61 groups sell wholesale for ~$130.

When I search for E-61 I can't get any returns...

I will need to goof around on their website to figure out the navigation.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Open yourself an account with ASCASO of Spain. Complete Faema E61 groups sell wholesale for ~$130.

When I search for E-61 I can't get any returns...

I will need to goof around on their website to figure out the navigation.

Do that for a few minutes & you'll begin to see how much the parts sellers markup stuff. I do understand that they have to make a living and that some of the stuff they buy does sit on the shelf for years without selling - but ??