Author Topic: "La Crema" lever espresso machine? (Rebadged Europiccola?) A steal at $100?  (Read 1828 times)

JoshInCA

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/hsh/1238559222.html

The ad says it was made by the La Crema company in San Francisco. I can't find anything about them, and am curious about it ... anyone?

On edit: The photo looks more or less like a La Pavoni Europiccola, but a bit different from the photos I've found ... maybe an older model?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:38:57 AM by JoshInCA »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Hmm ... you better scoop that up in a hurry ... before Robert does.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

Hmm ... you better scoop that up in a hurry ... before Robert does.

:)

Nope - I've got this one sitting with my collection: http://www.lapavoni.com/model.asp?line=domestic&id=22

JoshInCA

Worth the scooping up though? What should a person ask / look for, to make sure a lever-action machine is in working order?

Total, utter, n00b here ...  ???

Tex

Worth the scooping up though? What should a person ask / look for, to make sure a lever-action machine is in working order?

Honestly, unless you're a collector of lever machines & need to fill an empty spot, I wouldn't bother. A used LP Europicolla Mellinium model can be had for ~$300 on eBay. Parts are available and there are lots of folks who can help you out with repairs.

JoshInCA

Honestly, unless you're a collector of lever machines & need to fill an empty spot, I wouldn't bother.

Oh, gosh, no ... I collect nothing -- all I'm hoping to find is a good machine to learn about espresso with, for a low, low price ... to say I'm on a budget would be being nice about it  ;)

Tex

Honestly, unless you're a collector of lever machines & need to fill an empty spot, I wouldn't bother.

Oh, gosh, no ... I collect nothing -- all I'm hoping to find is a good machine to learn about espresso with, for a low, low price ... to say I'm on a budget would be being nice about it  ;)

Then I suggest your use this Craig's list search for Gaggia's to find a machine. Or this eBay search for Gaggia's. They offer the most bang for the buck - but don't forget, the grinder is the most important piece of equipment!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
I'm currently lusting for a lever machine so if it was me I'd do a search around the forums and see if you think parts are available and there are a few people that talk about this machine (maybe it is just rebadged) . If it's got some decent support I might consider it if in your shoes.

Do know that the learning curve for a manual machine is WAY steeper than a semi and you will be in for doing about 50X's more work on your end to get what you are after....BUT you also get the satisfaction of doing so when you do.  8)

I guess it comes down to parts availability and if you are up for the task of a lever machine.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

I'm currently lusting for a lever machine so if it was me I'd do a search around the forums and see if you think parts are available and there are a few people that talk about this machine (maybe it is just rebadged) . If it's got some decent support I might consider it if in your shoes.

Do know that the learning curve for a manual machine is WAY steeper than a semi and you will be in for doing about 50X's more work on your end to get what you are after....BUT you also get the satisfaction of doing so when you do.  8)

I guess it comes down to parts availability and if you are up for the task of a lever machine.

The only machine that comes close to being as picky about grinder quality is the Silvia. You've got to have all your ducks in a row to pull a great shot with a manual lever machine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~r_harmon/La%20Pavoni/

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
You've got to have all your ducks in a row to pull a great shot with a manual lever machine.

Yeah....

It's almost like a dare...a double dog dare.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

You've got to have all your ducks in a row to pull a great shot with a manual lever machine.

Yeah....

Maybe I'll drag my LP Pro off the shelf and fire it up tomorrow. My first "real" espresso machine was a '68 Europiccola that I bought in Vicenza and brought back to the States in my hold baggage. I had an old Zass hand grinder paired with it & if I could get fresh beans it'd make fantastic shots. I've had one peacock after another ever since.

ktulu64

Yeah....

"A double-dog-dare. What else [is] there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare."  ;D