Author Topic: wood fired roaster....  (Read 3481 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: wood fired roaster....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
I talked with Oaxaca Charlie about an idea like this some years ago when I was going to build an earth oven.

He roasted tons of coffee in a drum rotated by pedal power.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
We had some tree-huggers giving the local BBQ joints some grief about the carbon emissions from the wood-fired pits. After they were well enough to travel again, they decided to take their arguments to friendlier climes.  ;D

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »
Sad thing is tex, wood is carbon neutral, it gives off the same co2 burning, as it would rotting on the floor of the woods.

I say we should shove the tree huggers up a coal feeder in some power plant somewhere see how many kilowatts we can get from their worthless carcass'

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Charly

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »
Actually, rotting on the forest floor some of the carbon ends up as a major, vital, soil component. That didn't stop me from roasting TONS of coffee with my brick oven coffee roaster, feeling no guilt whatsoever. Too difficult to control the roast profile, however, for commercial sales to fussy coffee shops. Ron Kyle took my roaster drum design and made it better and now I use a RK extra large drum with a gas grill and life is sweet without any more wood scavaging/chopping/smoking up the neighborhood every day. Lucky for me they don't drill for propane around here. I here it's a nasty business. And, oh yeah...I like trees and I really don't like your attitude, dude.
 (oaxaca) Charly

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
That didn't stop me from roasting TONS of coffee with my brick oven coffee roaster..
 (oaxaca) Charly

;D ;D

I didn't know that was you (here).

I never did get around to building my earth oven but I still have the book for someday;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »
You like trees, that's good.  But you don't put them over the well being of mankind that I am aware of, or do you?
Do you hold secret late at night tree rictuals with your fellow druids of the drink, and roast coffee in the middle of the woods where you won't get caught?

If a bean enters first crack in the middle of the woods, but the treehuggers are too busy ... hugging trees, does it still make a sound?   

Either way, recycling a few of the more radical ones sounds like a good idea to me, like it or not, there it is.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Charly

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »
You like trees, that's good.  But you don't put them over the well being of mankind that I am aware of, or do you?
Do you hold secret late at night tree rictuals with your fellow druids of the drink, and roast coffee in the middle of the woods where you won't get caught?

If a bean enters first crack in the middle of the woods, but the treehuggers are too busy ... hugging trees, does it still make a sound?   

Either way, recycling a few of the more radical ones sounds like a good idea to me, like it or not, there it is.

Aaron

I do like trees, and I live in a house made from them, and heat it with dead trees...etc. I just don't equate the well being of mega corporations with the well being of mankind. Where I live there are mostly very large clearcuts, watershed damage is extreme, and logging and milling jobs are very few. The corporate logging I keep seeing in Mexico isn't doing "mankind" a lot of good A  (much) more ecological system of logging, and some old growth, and more wilderness reserves would quiet down 90% of the huggers and create some sustainable jobs. my2 pesos worth   no need to move this to HT, I won't write any more insults--that was the beer talking  :P

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
Actually, rotting on the forest floor some of the carbon ends up as a major, vital, soil component. That didn't stop me from roasting TONS of coffee with my brick oven coffee roaster, feeling no guilt whatsoever. Too difficult to control the roast profile, however, for commercial sales to fussy coffee shops. Ron Kyle took my roaster drum design and made it better and now I use a RK extra large drum with a gas grill and life is sweet without any more wood scavaging/chopping/smoking up the neighborhood every day. Lucky for me they don't drill for propane around here. I here it's a nasty business. And, oh yeah...I like trees and I really don't like your attitude, dude.
 (oaxaca) Charly

I like the thought of an outdoor fireplace/oven that I could cook, bake and roast coffee in ... not for production but the zen (for lack of a better word) of it... its kinda like JohnF's quest for the perfect espresso ... you find it now and again and slowly over time you find it more often but its a sad day when you have perfected some things... because the power is in the journey not the destination.

Tex

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »
...because the power is in the journey not the destination...

This is geezer-speak for, "I've got to get a real life!"  :D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

...because the power is in the journey not the destination...

This is geezer-speak for, "I've got to get a real life!"  :D

LOL... I'm not a geezer, I have a real life, and I am enjoying it now; not killing my self at a job I hate dreaming of a retirement I will never have because I would be to broken and worn out when I get their... 

as much as I like to push a button and get coffee roasted and or brewed virtually instantaneous and with out thinking I also like the pursuit of the low tech harder way... I learn a lot more about the process... You of all people would appreciate this (so I thought) with your love for the espresso machine as a machine not just a source of caffeine...

if you want to pic a fight take it over to HT... I just wanted to hear ideas and experiences with wood fired roasters?!?!?!?! 

donn

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
No personal experience, but when I first discovered the now celebrated Victrola coffee shop in Seattle, they were working with an Italian wood-fired roast.  They don't any more, but I'm pretty sure that they would never have gone there if it hadn't been an exceptional quality product.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:57:47 PM »
I just wanted to hear ideas and experiences with wood fired roasters?!?!?!?! 

The book I posted a pic of is pretty interesting.

I really intended to build it but you know how I am.  ;D

The reason I think it will work is that you can build a fire inside and bring the oven up to the temp you want. Once you get it to your point you can roast on radiant heat for a good while. You won't be doing a lot of profiling (as Charly) points out but I do think I'll eventually build one and roast some straightforward stuff on it that works well with a simple ramp.

Then when you are not roasting you can fire up some pizza and bread...I make a mean both.  8)

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
I just wanted to hear ideas and experiences with wood fired roasters?!?!?!?! 

The book I posted a pic of is pretty interesting.

I really intended to build it but you know how I am.  ;D

The reason I think it will work is that you can build a fire inside and bring the oven up to the temp you want. Once you get it to your point you can roast on radiant heat for a good while. You won't be doing a lot of profiling (as Charly) points out but I do think I'll eventually build one and roast some straightforward stuff on it that works well with a simple ramp.

Then when you are not roasting you can fire up some pizza and bread...I make a mean both.  8)

I am in the process of building a gas grill roaster... on my small grill roaster I kinda change the heat but my presumption is I will be heating up the grill tiles to a fixed (ish) temp and then the ramp is what it is...  so the wood fired would not be much different.?.?.?

Tex

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
...You of all people would appreciate this (so I thought) with your love for the espresso machine as a machine not just a source of caffeine...

if you want to pic a fight take it over to HT... I just wanted to hear ideas and experiences with wood fired roasters?!?!?!?! 

What, no sense of humor today? Any thread is subject to being hijacked if there's a chuckle to be had!  ;D