Author Topic: wood fired roaster....  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: wood fired roaster....
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Wow, talk about panties in a wad.

on brick ovens though, you say you can't control the heat....

Is it possible to put the fire on one end or one side of it and move the item being cooked / roasted more over where the fire is, less over where it is to control the temp or is it more of a the whole thing is at one temperature type deal there?

I just remember getting a pizza in romania and they cooked it in a brick oven, the fire was made of wood and right in there, and they moved the pizza closer to / further from the fire to control cooking it.  Just curious if something similar could be done with roasting coffee.   

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »

Is it possible to put the fire on one end or one side of it and move the item being cooked / roasted more over where the fire is, less over where it is to control the temp or is it more of a the whole thing is at one temperature type deal there?

I just remember getting a pizza in romania and they cooked it in a brick oven, the fire was made of wood and right in there, and they moved the pizza closer to / further from the fire to control cooking it.  Just curious if something similar could be done with roasting coffee.   

Aaron

that is probably the only way to do it... and thus harder on a small scale...
I was picturing something in the neighborhood of this... or the one a few posts back

on this roaster you probably opens and closes dampers to let more or less outside air in to control the temp...

and Heaven knows what they do to control this beast?!?!?

Charly

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
The brick wood fired brick oven I have is charged (pre heated) with a long hot fire, left to calm down and be evenly hot throughout, and then the ashes are cleaned out and it's ready to either roast coffee or cook pizzas. Both need high temps. Later it holds a bread baking temp for a long time. Pizza is quick and easy. Coffee....you really want to drop the heat some just as first crack is coming and some kind of ventilation is needed. That's doable. Then it's handy to be able to raise the heat a little if you want to for certain profiles. Stopping the air flow will do that when the oven is fresh charged, it just takes a great deal of practice and it's never quite a science. Good fan powered venting, and maybe gas jets for upping temps plus years of practice and you could certainly do masterfull roasts 9 times out of ten I reckon.  Best way to roast a turkey, you can dry green wood overnight in it with residual heat, a freind malty barly in my oven, the pizzas are the best, sourdough bread hot of the bricks...mighty fine. Great hobby. Heavy work if it's a job.  I started out roasting in my bread oven using an Androck over the fire popcorn popper, with a welding mitt I shook 1 lb. of greens inside the oven door when it was still too hot to put the 3 dozen loaves of sourdough in. Later a RK-like drum got made and a roller system to spin it on inside the oven, 7 lbs at a time. I have quite a few burn scars on my arms hands and wrists. It  (hand crank roasting in the brick oven, not the scars)  looked really cool and got the little roasting biz off to a good start.
 With a gas grill you make the temp go up or down or stay the same, quick and easy. No waiting hours for a brick oven to warm up, no refiring throughout the day with small fires to bump the temp up to roasting level, no smoke, no ash piles, far fewer out of control roasts. Much more relaxed if it's a job,the coffee will be served in coffee shops wanting consistency, but for a once a week passionate hobby the brick oven wins hands down.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 04:39:15 AM »
I am seriously thinking of building a brick oven / fireplace outside, been for a while.  Had a lead on some firebricks from a power plant they were tearing down.  Straight out of the boiler.  Then I did a chemical analysis of them... whoa,  little too much arsenic for me bucky,  oh well, maybe next time.  Shame too because these could stand 2000 degrees or so probably, would have been perfect.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 06:07:10 AM »
I am seriously thinking of building a brick oven / fireplace outside, been for a while. 

When I was researching it I spent a lot of time at this forum and ordered his instructional CD.

There is a lot of good information here...

http://www.traditionaloven.com/
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Charly

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »

Aaron

When cooking pizzas all day in a brick oven you need to keep the temps very high so you keep some hot coals and/or small flame going in the back. I did that when I had a drum that I rolled on the oven floor (it had over sized end plates), pushing and pulling a connected rod. Smoke and ash effected the coffee some but not always in a bad way. Grabbing the very hot drum to remove it for cooling was always tricky and I often burned my fore arms reaching into the small oven doorway.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
I am seriously thinking of building a brick oven / fireplace outside, been for a while.  Had a lead on some firebricks from a power plant they were tearing down.  Straight out of the boiler.  Then I did a chemical analysis of them... whoa,  little too much arsenic for me bucky,  oh well, maybe next time.  Shame too because these could stand 2000 degrees or so probably, would have been perfect.

Aaron

From one Aaron to another...  ;) contemplate a Big Green Egg. (http://biggreenegg.com/) Temp controlable, burns lump charcoal, great outdoor pizza/bread/smoker, maybe you can even roast coffee on it :)

Aaron

Stubbie

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »

Aaron

From one Aaron to another...  ;) contemplate a Big Green Egg. (http://biggreenegg.com/) Temp controlable, burns lump charcoal, great outdoor pizza/bread/smoker, maybe you can even roast coffee on it :)

Aaron

:o

Aaron, you won't believe what a can of worms you've just opened there.  We have a thread on the Big Green Egg - Aaron doesn't believe the hype.

Myself on the other hand, own and love my BGE!

-Stubbie

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »
Ill behave and won't attack the egg here heeeeee.

I think it's a bit overpriced myself and will leave it at that.   I was thinking more of a BIGger oven, something you could easily slide a super pig out sized pizza into, or a small pig, or whatever, and on the back side, or the . side... or whatever it can double as a fireplace sort of thing.  The egg, while some love it, is a bit small for what I had in mind.

Aaron

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
I admire the BGE (it is clay so of course I want) but the oven/out door fire place is a bigger vision... heat it up, make a pizza or four... roast a little coffee for the guests... and pack some bread and/or roastables and sit around eating and socializing in Oct, Nov (NE IL gets cool enough by then you appreciate the heat)

actually if I add a room off of our kitchen (all of this is big dreams at this point) I would have a dual fireplace (one inside, one out) on the back wall of that room.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
JJ what part of NE illinois you talking about.  I did some time in Zion when I was stationed in great mistakes.   Just curious.

Aaron

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
JJ what part of NE illinois you talking about.  I did some time in Zion when I was stationed in great mistakes.   Just curious.

Aaron

yep.. right their.. Winthrop Harbor is the last outpost before the Cheddar Curtain...

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
yep I know where that is, last stop on sheridan rd before cheezeville.  and true on the weather that time of year.  i grew up in oak forest / tinley park and it wasn't much better down there either.. but you have the glow from the zion nuke plant to keep you warm though right?

Aaron

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »
yep I know where that is, last stop on sheridan rd before cheezeville.  and true on the weather that time of year.  i grew up in oak forest / tinley park and it wasn't much better down there either.. but you have the glow from the zion nuke plant to keep you warm though right?

Aaron

northern lights?!?!?!  we don't need no steinkin northern lights....   we got the glow from the spent rod pool....
actually Zion power has been shutdown for a while so the glow is pretty faint 

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »
Oops Stubbie...my bad   8)

At least thee and me gots green huevos!

Aaron