Author Topic: Traditional Ethiopian Coffee Roaster  (Read 2076 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Traditional Ethiopian Coffee Roaster
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »
I was watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmer last night and he was in Ethiopia. In one of the segments of the show he attended a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony. In the ceremony they used a traditional coffee roaster which consisted of a firebox with a small, shallow bowl on top. They made a fire in the bottom, placed the greens in the bowl, and used a metal rod that resembled a shepherd's hook to stir the beans.

I've seen these roaster before and I have always thought that they are very interesting. I would like to find out more about them. I would even like to buy a small one.

I tried searching the almighty Google, but I didn't turn up anything, probably because I don't know what to search for. Anybody know what these roasters are called or where I can find more info on them?

milowebailey

Re: Traditional Ethiopian Coffee Roaster
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:16 AM »
I have one... I picked it up in Ethiopia... I don't know what it's called but it's just a metal disk.. nothin' fancy about it

Here is a link of when I used it... lots of work to stir.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
Larry,

Do you know what those pans are called?

I would also like to find something with it's own heat source like this setup.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
They roast the beans over coals on a baret metad or beramtad.

good description of the whole ceremony here:

You can buys some stuff here... but I don't see a pan.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »

good description of the whole ceremony here:

I'm pretty sure that the lady pictured in that writeup was the same lady that performed the ritual on Bizarre Foods.

Jeffo

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
This isn't quite relevant but here is a picture I like. I can't remember where I got it. J.Jireh may have posted it.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
This isn't quite relevant but here is a picture I like. I can't remember where I got it. J.Jireh may have posted it.

Yeah.. I like that one ....   I think I just picked it up from google images...  looks like you could use a wok pan to get close to the same thing...(maybe run over it in the driveway a few times to get closer  ;) )

I have looked for that a few times and it is not something anyone has thought to try and mass market over here (I suspect it is the same pan they cook their Suckuma Wiki in  (I have a better recipe... just cant find it)

[nice link in your signature Jeffo]

barko78

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »

The guy looks like he's talking on his cell phone.

Jeffo

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:15:36 PM »
I'm glad you like the sig link J.Jirehs.

I like the dog in the picture. Keeping  him company and on the look out too it looks like.

Cell phone and roasting can lead to third crack.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:22:28 AM »

Cell phone and roasting can lead to third crack.

You can say that again!  I had to put a sign up above my roaster that reads, "If you talk on the phone while roasting, you WILL screw up."

This method of roasting just looks too time consuming and labor-intensive.  But for camping or backpacking, where one has lots of time and you look for things to do, it could be perfect.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »
From looking at the photo, he's roasting on the lid of a dutch oven, which is on the dutch oven... I wonder if breakfast is inside the dutch oven... maybe a goat and eggs omelet?

Offline anastasio

• Standard User
  • Home roasting since 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
After I turned my neighbor on to home roasting, he wanted to try doing it over his patio fire pit. I lent him a large steel wok. It is very challenging. It requires constant stirring of the beans and blowing out the chaff. It is very hard to regulate the temperature and the beans tend to stay on their flat side and burn. You end up with a very uneven roast.

He loves it, but I'll stick with the popcorn popper or my new SC/TO.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »

I really like the picture. I have an old, rusty cast iron skillet I've been meaning to clean up. Now I know what to use it for. ;) ;D

I still would like to get one of the Ethiopian style pans at some point. If anyone finds a retailer please let me know.

Charly

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »
 They look like metal comals used in Mexico to make tortillas and/or roast coffee. I prefer the clay ones but they always break in my suitcase coming back here. Way back when I was growing coffee I roasted the entire crop, a bit at a time, on a clay comal over a little wood fire to get full value from the harvest, selling a couple of lbs a day around the village.  Lots of constant stirring and smoke in your eyes. Best to use twigs that you can pull back from under the roasting tray to lower temp when first crack gets rolling. Coals are less smokey but it's harder to do a controlled profile.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
They look like metal comals used in Mexico to make tortillas and/or roast coffee. I prefer the clay ones but they always break in my suitcase coming back here. Way back when I was growing coffee I roasted the entire crop, a bit at a time, on a clay comal over a little wood fire to get full value from the harvest, selling a couple of lbs a day around the village.  Lots of constant stirring and smoke in your eyes. Best to use twigs that you can pull back from under the roasting tray to lower temp when first crack gets rolling. Coals are less smokey but it's harder to do a controlled profile.

good tip on the removable fuel source.... and comals....  I started out roasting in a small cast iron pan... drove my wife nutty  with the smoke and chaff... (SC/TO in the garage still does  ;D ) I think it is important to try the simple ways of roasting.... it can be challenging and the roasts uneven but I remember a few that were intriguing (although not repeatable) I believe the light and dark roasted beans in the same roast were part of the flavor, in a good way...