Author Topic: Armin Trösser grinder  (Read 1749 times)

milowebailey

Armin Trösser grinder
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a Armin Trösser grinder.  I have a chance to pick up 4 of them pretty cheap...

JoshInCA

Re: Armin Trösser grinder
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
There's been a fair amount of discussion on them over on coffee-geek[edit: Nope, over on home-barista.com, please see linkie below], I think. As near as I can tell, they're a very good hand grinder, but I've never owned one. They're probably less well-known and less popular than, say, Zassenhaus or PeDe/DeVe grinders, and OrphanEspresso says they've never worked on one that would do a decent espresso grind. [n'other edit: I read that somewhere, but it doesn't look like it's in this particular thread ... and some of the people say they're happy with these as espresso grinders. I'm pretty sure that varies grinder to grinder, not brand to brand.]

Linkie: http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/hand-grinder-jive-photo-essay-t4482.html

If espresso were all I were looking for, I'd pass, but if I wanted one for drip or to give to someone, the four you snapped there look like they'd clean up nicely. (I like hand grinders, though. Someone who just wants easy coffee of a morning might not want one at all. They add a couple of minutes to the process which I enjoy and which someone else might not.)

They also seem to sell moderately well on eBay, if you're interested in that at all.

Hope some of that may be helpful. (On the one hand dis ... on the other hand dat ... I probably need more coffee, myself. The plural of "dat" is "data" -- yes?    :)  )
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:03:06 AM by JoshInCA »

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
I use my Zass occasionally, great when traveling. These would make awesome presents, prolly not good for 'spresso, and get old pretty quick. Good for a quick cup or two when you're in a "retro" mood. Hand grinding is an occasional event.

maxmojo

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
Larry,

If you go ahead and get them on the cheap, I am sure one or more of us would like to purchase one with our next order of your awesome coffee offers (Please count me in on one if so).

If you don't want to sell them with an order how bout a real special roasting for the troops offer this fall?

Maxmojo

Tex

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
The guy's a freakin' gear-head junkie. I thought my garage full of stuff made me the king, but milo's buying stuff by the truckload now? Dude, I yield my crown to the better man!

;D

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
The guy's a freakin' gear-head junkie. I thought my garage full of stuff made me the king, but milo's buying stuff by the truckload now? Dude, I yield my crown to the better man!

;D
envy does not look good on you Tex :angel:

Steve7

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »
I need something like that for my drip machine at work. Save me grinding at home each morning and carting the stuff to the office. Especially so when I decide to cycle the 11 miles some weeks.

I can't justify buying something expensive to put in the workplace, especially as the office houses 100's! The smell of fresh coffee has already got a queue forming by my door each morning.

maxmojo

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »
Working on the side Tex? ;)

http://www.texascoffeegrinders.com/

waltfb

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
I have an Armin Trosser grinder like the one second from left.  I also have a DeVe.  Both were bought used and appear to be fairly old.  I also have a Zassenhaus bought new two years ago.  I prefer the DeVe which grinds very nicely and I use it every morning that I'm not making esspresso.  The Trosser I have is good but not as good as the DeVe.  Neither one of them requires a long time cranking.  The Zass is a different story it will wear you out!  I have heard that recent models of the Zass such as mine are not the quality of the old ones and I believe it from my experience.

Walt Black

Tex

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Working on the side Tex? ;)

Personally, I believe work is degrading to the human soul, so I avoid whenever Mrs T says I can.  :angel:

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »

;D

What ever happened to the man who subscribed to the theory that the man with the most toys wins?

???

Hmm ... now Milo is a better man? (I wonder if that is the Sonofresco guilt acting up)?

:)

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

;D

What ever happened to the man who subscribed to the theory that the man with the most toys wins?

???

Hmm ... now Milo is a better man? (I wonder if that is the Sonofresco guilt acting up)?
I did pick these 4 grinder up.... I plan to use one in a little bit to grind some Bolivia goodness....

do I have the most toys yet?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:57:12 PM by milowebailey »

Tex

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »

The contest ain't over 'til St Peter crosses your name off the rolls!  :angel:

milowebailey

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »

The contest ain't over 'til St Peter crosses your name off the rolls!  :angel:

cool, I send St. Peter samples all the time to cup... he likes me already!

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »

The contest ain't over 'til St Peter crosses your name off the rolls!  :angel:

cool, I send St. Peter samples all the time to cup... he likes me already!

<In my best Lloyd Bentsen voice> a-hem...

Milo, I have served coffee to Peter. I know Peter. Peter is a friend of mine. Milo, he ain't no Saint Peter.

B|Java