Author Topic: Things to consider before getting a sample roaster installed at home?  (Read 1793 times)

njot2an

I am thinking about getting a professional sample roaster, either a 1-lb San Franciscan or a 1-lb Diedrich roaster, however currently living in the top level of an apartment building in California. Curious to get some inputs on what kind of obstacles (in terms of permits, ventilations, etc.) I will be facing before buying one and install it at home. Some questions that popped into my mind: Will I need to get a permit for getting a roaster like those professional roasters, even though I am not using it for commercial? In terms of ventilation, I assume I will need to remodeled my home to get the smokes straight to open air? Do I need to move out from a residential area? Any other things that I should put into consideration? Thank you all for your inputs. 

thejavaman

Re: Things to consider before getting a sample roaster installed at home?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
First of all, welcome to the club.  If I were in your shoes and you don't plan on "selling" any of your home roast, I wouldn't worry about permits at all (that is until your neighbors start to complain  ;)).  Ventilation is another issue altogether though.  You will definitely need some sort of way to get the roasting smoke vented properly, especially with a big(er) batch size "home" roaster.  I'm not very familiar with either the San Fran or Diedrich Home Roaster (I think it's discontinued until 12/2009) you mentioned, but I'm sure there is a way to vent to the outdoors pretty easily and inexpensively.  Let us know how you progress....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:04:19 PM by thejavaman »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:34 PM »
Being on the top floor should help keep the neighbors from getting smoked out, but I'm sure they'll still notice it- my neighbors know when I'm roasting.  Remember it's always easier getting forgiveness than getting permission.

Since you're roasting for personal consumption and not selling, there should be no permit issues, same as if you were using a grill.

Make your exhaust as straight and short as possible.  I don't know if the sample roasters require double-wall pipe, but the place you buy it from will answer that.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
Do you have a balcony?

Ventilation is all I would consider but I didn't know those sample roasters were big enough to think about remodeling and "installation".

I would think it's like considering a nice sized bbq pit.  :-\

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:10:41 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
One pound batches of coffee will put out a LOT less smoke than a slab of ribs, slow cooked for 3 hours or so with mesquite wood chips. Unless your community has really tough anti-pollution laws you should be OK. Is the exhaust vent for your stove routed to the outside or does it exhaust back into your apartment? If it's an external vent you may be able to roast in you kitchen. Same thing if you have a fireplace.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
Most municipalities have specific ordinances delineating when an afterburner or other mitigating hardware is needed on a roaster.  I have not personally seen anywhere that regulates roaster output of under 10 pounds (of coffee) an hour, but if they do it anywhere, it would be in California so you'd better check.

Tex:  in California they do have really tough anti-pollution laws.  You just can't produce a bunch of smoke on your balcony unless you have a medical marijuana card.   ;)

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
  You just can't produce a bunch of smoke on your balcony unless you have a medical marijuana card.   ;)
So if you get one of those cards you don't need an afterburner ;D

Tex

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
Most municipalities have specific ordinances delineating when an afterburner or other mitigating hardware is needed on a roaster.  I have not personally seen anywhere that regulates roaster output of under 10 pounds (of coffee) an hour, but if they do it anywhere, it would be in California so you'd better check.

Tex:  in California they do have really tough anti-pollution laws.  You just can't produce a bunch of smoke on your balcony unless you have a medical marijuana card.   ;)

Now you're piqued my curiosity - what would a batch of Yiracheffe taste like roasted with a handful of pot? I've got the beans if someone wants to donate some of the other? :angel:

yorel23

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »

Now you're piqued my curiosity - what would a batch of Yiracheffe taste like roasted with a handful of pot? I've got the beans if someone wants to donate some of the other? :angel:

C'mon Tex, just use your own!!  You know we can't ship that stuff in the mail! ;)

njot2an

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »
Yeah, I do have a balcony on my apartment, but if I am going to put my roaster on the balcony, I do need to watch out for the rain? Or maybe just put that roaster on top of a heavy-duty trolley so I can pull it in and out of the balcony easily.
I don't think I can roast inside though, as the smoke will trigger the fire-alarm easily.

PS: Good idea on the marijuana license, I will get one just to save myself from neighbor complaints  ;D

Tex

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
Yeah, I do have a balcony on my apartment, but if I am going to put my roaster on the balcony, I do need to watch out for the rain? Or maybe just put that roaster on top of a heavy-duty trolley so I can pull it in and out of the balcony easily.
I don't think I can roast inside though, as the smoke will trigger the fire-alarm easily.

PS: Good idea on the marijuana license, I will get one just to save myself from neighbor complaints  ;D

I picked up a metal rolling table at Sam's Club for my Sonofresco.

njot2an

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
Awesomeness on the trolley.

How is that Sonofresco been treating you?

Tex

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
Awesomeness on the trolley.

How is that Sonofresco been treating you?

I've yet to have a bad roast! I just wish milo would get busy with his widget so I can play with the roast profiles.  ;)

yorel23

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 04:30:41 PM »

I've yet to have a bad roast! I just wish milo would get busy with his widget so I can play with the roast profiles.  ;)

Ditto that!!  :occasion14:

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
  You just can't produce a bunch of smoke on your balcony unless you have a medical marijuana card.   ;)
So if you get one of those cards you don't need an afterburner ;D

unless you roast more than ten pounds an hour...  :icon_scratch: