Author Topic: Anyone ever try one of these?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Timothy

Re: Anyone ever try one of these?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
yum

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »

hatethis

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:12 AM »
I have 4 of them, 3 different kinds.  One a friend brought back from Vietnam, one we found at a vietnam store near us and two my wife had previously.  The two my wife had are built much better and have the screw in the middle; the ones from vietnam are preffered though.  From what I have found in my making the press gets a better result. 

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »
Its the metal version of the swissgold one cupper, I have several of them, love it.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »
Ayone having tested the both the SwissGold & our Vietnamese counterpart, what's the difference in quality of the reulting cup, if any?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Ayone having tested the both the SwissGold & our Vietnamese counterpart, what's the difference in quality of the reulting cup, if any?

They are totally different preps/cups.

Quality of the cup isn't a direct sort of comparison I would make...they are different tools for different jobs.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »
Perhaps I should have said: " Could someone contrast & compare the different qualities of a cup from each preparation"  :)  I bought one of each today, got teh SwissGold for $10. 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »
Perhaps I should have said: " Could someone contrast & compare the different qualities of a cup from each preparation"  :)  I bought one of each today, got teh SwissGold for $10. 

I'll toss out an opinion..

SwissGold is something like a french pressy - pourover vibe. It shares qualities of each and gives you a 'standard' cup of coffee. If you wanted a cup of coffee you can use this prep.

The Vietnamese brewer doesn't give you a cup of coffee in the typical sense. It gives you a really deep coffee that I can only think to compare to things like espresso, moka pot, and Aeropress even though it's a lot different in flavor than those preps.

Sort of hard to describe really but that is a basic outline.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »

I'll toss out an opinion..

SwissGold is something like a french pressy - pourover vibe. It shares qualities of each and gives you a 'standard' cup of coffee. If you wanted a cup of coffee you can use this prep.

The Vietnamese brewer doesn't give you a cup of coffee in the typical sense. It gives you a really deep coffee that I can only think to compare to things like espresso, moka pot, and Aeropress even though it's a lot different in flavor than those preps.

Sort of hard to describe really but that is a basic outline.

I haven't had Vietnamese iced coffee in 45 years or so. Think I'll run over to Bellaire Blvd in Houston and find a store that sells them.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:45:31 AM »
I haven't had Vietnamese iced coffee in 45 years or so. Think I'll run over to Bellaire Blvd in Houston and find a store that sells them.

Do it.

I bet that big strip center at Hwy 6 and Bellaire can hook you up.

That and a can of sweet and condensed milk.....some ice....it is August now.  ;)

Lee Morrison

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »
Stop now before I drool all over the keyboard.  With the temperature at 80 and it is only 9, this drink is starting to sound real good!!

(thinking about a little ice coffee in Benbrook, Texas)

ps The VC is more like a coffee shake than a cup of Joe. ;D

Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
I wouldn't really call the swiss gold a french press. or press of any type.  Maybe a type of drip, and you can control the 'deepness' of the coffee so to say by the grind, and water temp.   Just like any other brewer it has it's oddities and manipulations.

If it stalls lift it off the cup about an inch and set it down on the cup again with a thunk... that'll get it dripping again.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »

Where is your report?  ;)

Lee Morrison