Author Topic: Andreja Premium  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
Andreja Premium
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
I am thinking of getting a quality espresso machine and was looking at the Andreja Premium. Does anyone have any feedback on this unit. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve

Stubbie

Re: Andreja Premium
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
I have owned one for a couple of years, pairing it with a Mazzer Mini.

It's a beautiful machine, the chrome plating is high quality although it will scratch with much use.  The cup tray is particularly susceptible of course, but mine also has some scratches in the grouphead where the previous owner had removed a sticker and used an abrasive to get off the residue. :(  I have it installed in our wetbar in the house and it always gets rave reviews on looks...

It really seems like a nicely built machine as well.  Everything inside is tidy and made of high quality parts, the boiler is wrapped in a neoprene insulating jacket with the top exposed to heat the cup tray.  It is also somewhat easily adjustable on brew pressure and temp, but not nearly as much as having a PID would be for the temp.  It does require taking the cover off the machine any time you want to change brew pressure - and is enough of a PITA that I'm still brewing at about 1 bar too high.

Being pourover is really convenient, although now, I would consider it a con that it isn't plumbed in.  (They do sell plumb in conversion kits - so really a moot point if you've got an extra hundy)

Another downside is the noise of a vibe pump versus a rotary vane.  It's a loud little sucker for 23 seconds at a time :)

That being said, I think I'd go one step further up and go with the Vetrano.  Chris Coffee is offering $200 off on on them right now I see as well.

I had a little espresso upgrade this weekend, so the Andreja is being relegated to a portable machine I can do some catering and parties with.  It may gather a little dust, but I'm not ready to part with her...

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
Good review.  Thanks Stubbie.

What have you replaced it with?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Stubbie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

La Marzocco Linea AV 2 - lovin it!

I do have one fewer coffee toy though...traded my Artigiano shop roaster to a fellow here in KC that had posted on Craigslist.  I think we might see him around here soon. :)

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »

La Marzocco Linea AV 2 - lovin it!

-Stubbie

Yes ... I bet you are.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

thejavaman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
...La Marzocco Linea AV 2 - lovin it!...

I have espresso envy!   ;)

GC7

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
I own its cousin the QM Anita which shares most of its features and all really important for brewing espresso.  I concur with Stubbie's comments and add that it makes really good espresso once you manage the flush technique.  That is made much easier with a grouphead thermometer and varying temperature is both reproducible and predictable. After a year with it I am for the most part happy. I don't mind the noise or refilling the water resevoir.

I'm lucky to have very soft water and have not had to descale as yet.  I'm moving to a new house with a well and will need better water treatment.  The HX machines like Andreja and Anita go through a lot of water gven their flush requirements and that is making me itch a bit for a double boiler.

yankeeNH

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:25:04 AM »
I concur with what has been said. I've had mine for about 3 yrs. now and have nothing bad to say. I have been able to get some amazing results but it does keep you "honest". Removing the cover is indeed a PITA to adjust the pressure, but it really was pretty straightforward. Do I wish I had bought something else? Nope. The vibe pump can make you jump when it turns on via the timer at 5am, but you get used to it.  ;D

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
I would also agree with what has been said above. But, I just got one this summer from Dave, on ebay that installs a PID, so you can set the temp from the front of the machine without having to get into the chassis. When I purchased it, the price with the PID was the same as buying directly from Chris' without the PID. ( of course he buys his machines from Chris). I have been very happy with this enhanced product, looks good and makes very good coffee no thanks to me!! Here is the ebay link if you want to check it out  http://cgi.ebay.com/QUICKMILL-QUICK-MILL-ANDREJA-PREMIUM-E61-PID_W0QQitemZ280364305658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item414703ccfa
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:41:22 AM by gsc76 »