Author Topic: Ammonia smell ditting grinder?? help...  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Ammonia smell ditting grinder?? help...
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »
Today I was grinding some espresso on my old ditting grinder for a friend. All of the sudden a smell of ammonia comming out of the grinder with a faded smoke.

But the ammonia smell was there for sure.

Came back later and ground some coarse coffee. Stop the grinder in the middle, but it wouldn't start after that. I took the blades apart cleaned them up, and started working again...any ideas?

Bruches, bearings ??  Old grinder 199?

Thanks,

-pat

Tex

Re: Ammonia smell ditting grinder?? help...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »
Only thing I can come up with is bacteria interacting with urea & uric acid. Keep the chickens out of the coffee processing shed! ;D

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »
Only thing I can come up with is bacteria interacting with urea & uric acid. Keep the chickens out of the coffee processing shed! ;D

Yeah, but we'll drink stuff that's been crapped out of a civet . . .

;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

Yeah, but we'll drink stuff that's been crapped out of a civet . . .

;D

:laughing4:
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »

Compared with that, ammonia ain't much to fret about.

LOL

edit: BTW, look at that critter's eyes. They're the color of ripe coffee cherries. I wonder if the stuff has an effect on 'im like the geriatric spice melange had on Fremen on Arrakis, with the blue-in-blue eyes and all.     ;D

edit again: DUDE!

I've seen it all.    :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:33:14 PM by rasqual »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
Ammonia smell might be coming from overheating on the windings of the motor,  loose brushes or connections...   Dirt could be causing excessive arcing as well and burning the crap in there giving the smell, and on / off again .

If you seen smoke though, that's not a good thing,  .... it might just be a switch getting ready to give up the ghost, and not the motor.
or could be years of gunk / grease too... it's hard to really say w/o opening it up and taking a peek.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Ammonia smell might be coming from overheating on the windings of the motor,  loose brushes or connections...   Dirt could be causing excessive arcing as well and burning the crap in there giving the smell, and on / off again .

If you seen smoke though, that's not a good thing,  .... it might just be a switch getting ready to give up the ghost, and not the motor.
or could be years of gunk / grease too... it's hard to really say w/o opening it up and taking a peek.

Aaron

The ozone smell of overheated wiring isn't close to an ammonia smell. I do agree that it should be checked if the problem is recurring. Find a qualified technician and be prepared to pay his kids college tuition.  ;)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »

Aaron
You were 100% correct, the smell came from grounds going inside the walls of the capacitor. I would have to assume that the plastic burning together with the coffee grounds caused the smell. Lots og blck tar, I cleaned it as much as I could. The capacitor smells like and old (very old tv)...

Should I replace the capacitor with the factory one ($54) or get one locally?

Thanks,

-pat

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »
$54 FOR A CAPACITOR?!

Tex

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
$54 FOR A CAPACITOR?!

Just bought a new one at my electronics supply store for $7.95, and thought that was a bit rich. If you do buy the $54 one, make sure to get kissed! >:D

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »
When I need a large capacitor, I go here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec=20&sort=2&keyword=EMRC&catname=electric&UID=2009100610380448

I don't think any of them are more than $15, and most are under $5.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
When I need a large capacitor, I go here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec=20&sort=2&keyword=EMRC&catname=electric&UID=2009100610380448

I don't think any of them are more than $15, and most are under $5.

OK, BW! Now how about a quick primer on how to select the correct capacitor for one's application?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
Same capacitance, same or higher voltage rating shouldn't give you any trouble in a motor start application.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

maxmojo

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »
Put the smoke back in and your good ta go!

Smoked a very large isolation transformer on an extruder last night at work (power interface board/field control problem-500amp!) Fired it back up after removing panels and cooling it down - don't know if it kept on cooking after that >:(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:51:12 AM by maxmojo »

maxmojo

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
Stay within the replaced capacitors tolerance ratings. 10%

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv/techasmt/ecep/hvac/d/d.htm

Not to big not to small! ;D