Author Topic: Ammonia smell ditting grinder?? help...  (Read 2594 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: Ammonia smell ditting grinder?? help...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
When I need a large capacitor, I go here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec=20&sort=2&keyword=EMRC&catname=electric&UID=2009100610380448

I don't think any of them are more than $15, and most are under $5.

OK, BW! Now how about a quick primer on how to select the correct capacitor for one's application?

I would say that if a guy doesn't know enough about capacitance and electrical operations to select the correct one, they probably shouldn't be messing with it in the first place!

I do know that Monito is quite sharp in that department, based on his posts over the last 3 or 4 years out here.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
An aside:  Back in my wild days, when I used to tie-dye for a living, I would use large microwave ovens to accelerate the fiber-reactive dye bonding process with cotton by quickly heating it for a few minutes.  I put microwave ovens through hell, and many of them gave up the ghost due to short-circuits and corrosion from the amount of steam building up and condensing in them.   I nearly got electrocuted by capacitors on two instances while trying to fix these ovens.  Old-school microwave ovens have big capacitors that can store a substantial charge...  It's a good idea to discharge them before working on them.  It's an even better idea to have someone that knows what they're doing perform the repairs.  I was rather foolish and didn't want to cut into my beer money, so I learned about these things the hard way. 

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
An aside:  Back in my wild days, when I used to tie-dye for a living, I would use large microwave ovens to accelerate the fiber-reactive dye bonding process with cotton by quickly heating it for a few minutes.  I put microwave ovens through hell, and many of them gave up the ghost due to short-circuits and corrosion from the amount of steam building up and condensing in them.   I nearly got electrocuted by capacitors on two instances while trying to fix these ovens.  Old-school microwave ovens have big capacitors that can store a substantial charge...  It's a good idea to discharge them before working on them.  It's an even better idea to have someone that knows what they're doing perform the repairs.  I was rather foolish and didn't want to cut into my beer money, so I learned about these things the hard way. 

I actually took the thing apart to clean the tar, of course I discharged it first...its working with no smells. But...
I'll go to http://skycraftsurplus.com/ here in town is an old junk electronics kind of place.

Thanks for the advice,

-pat

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »

I'll go to http://skycraftsurplus.com/ here in town is an old junk electronics kind of place.

Hey!!  Thanks for that link - that is my kind of place - bookmarked in with my other surplus goodies now.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
You can probably goto any appliance repair center too, ie washing machines, ac/s etc and try to get them to sell you a cap too.   It's probably a start cap, and a bigger one gives a bit extra kick but wont hurt too much.  A run cap now might cause issues.  I know they'd do that with old AC compressors as they get stubborn, throw an extra start cap in paralell on the thing.  Id get a call for my ac is not working and open the thing up and there's like 5 of these 'hot shots' on the compressor leg and it's like.  ok hey dude, your compressor is shot ok... you need a NEW one,  NO I will NOT put yet another kicker on it and be held responsible should the thing decide to go nuclear.

Heck you can scavenge one out of an old appliance maybe.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!