Author Topic: WTB- Melitta/Salton - Clarity Machine or Carafe?  (Read 1245 times)

Glacier

WTB- Melitta/Salton - Clarity Machine or Carafe?
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
My last Carafe broke today....I am interested in another machine or maybe even just a carafe?

Ironically the one day I said to myself "Wow it would suck if my Melitta went T.U."

anyone have one to spare or ideas on a replacement that will work for it?

Bo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:49:10 AM by Glacier »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: WTB- Melitta/Salton - Clarity Machine or Carafe?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
Hey Bo,

Not sure what price range you are looking at but this seems to be a pretty good set up and price as far as I can tell.  Many spoke quite favorably of the Cuisinart in the pots that brew in the right temperature thread.  This set up includes a stainless steel thermal pot and is $99.00 delivered to your door.

This would be another strong contender.  Zojirushi also has a decent offering, is thermal and is supposed to be in the proper brewing temperature zone with a price of $85.00 delivered to your door.

The benefits of the steel carafe would be that chances slim of breakage and you won't have the taste of the coffee altered by the evaporating of the water.

Hope this helps.

:)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:04:41 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

Glacier

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
Is this what you are looking for?

sadly, neither of those will fit mine if I'm not mistaken.

I am certain they are NOT what I have now...figured it was worth pursuing, as I know a lot of people bought multiple(s) of these machines when they cleared them out on HSN and similar type websites.

Glacier

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »
Hey Bo,

Not sure what price range you are looking at but this seems to be a pretty good set up and price as far as I can tell.  Many spoke quite favorably of the Cuisinart in the pots that brew in the right temperature thread.  This set up includes a stainless steel thermal pot and is $99.00 delivered to your door.

This would be another strong contender.  Zojirushi also has a decent offering, is thermal and is supposed to be in the proper brewing temperature zone with a price of $85.00 delivered to your door.

The benefits of the steel carafe would be that chances slim of breakage and you won't have the taste of the coffee altered by the evaporating of the water.

Hope this helps.

:)

Hmmmmmmmmmm...buying a "New" coffee maker....now that's an interesting concept.

LOL!!

thanks much, that does help..

anyone have either of these?

Glacier

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »
So I just stumbled on this KMB

This looks like a viable option as well.

What's all this rasqualfelt blah blah I saw mentioned on another thread?

;D

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
So I just stumbled on this KMB

This looks like a viable option as well.

What's all this rasqualfelt blah blah I saw mentioned on another thread?

;D

Buy it.  You will love it.  Very rich coffee, deeper and fuller cup than a pourover.  Scroll down that page on Amazon.  One for $115 new shipped.  Excellent price.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=2967.msg39863#msg39863

If you buy it, sing out and I will send you a Rasqualleldfelt® filter that I will cut out that fits it.  Special food grade synthetic material that you rinse with hot water and use indefinitely.

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:04:24 AM by BoldJava »

Glacier

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
***Bump&***

Tex graciously took care of me on a Carafe he had....but I still want anther one of these complete units if anyone has one.

Prefer new- will consider used and working.

let me know - even if you read this and think it is an older the post, Please contact me- I love these things.

I would love a backup unit if any of my coffee brethren or sisters have an extra they can part with.

Bo

Tex

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
***Bump&***

Tex graciously took care of me on a Carafe he had....but I still want anther one of these complete units if anyone has one.

Prefer new- will consider used and working.

let me know - even if you read this and think it is an older the post, Please contact me- I love these things.

I would love a backup unit if any of my coffee brethren or sisters have an extra they can part with.

Bo

I know how you feel; my daughter specified a Clarity as a wedding gift - even though she knew it'd be used or at best new/old stock. They're the best "cheap" brewer ever made!

BTW: Have you tried the preheating technique I developed? To my taste it definitely improves the taste.

Glacier

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »
Tex,

Someone somewhere said to try using hot water...I have done that, and you do taste a difference.

I try it with different beans- some I like pre-heated..some I prefer cold.

If I am in a hurry- I pre-heat, picks me up an few extra minutes.

IS that the technique you are talking about?

Tex

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
My technique uses a plug to divert the hot water back into the reservoir. I monitor the temp, and when it reaches 120°F, I remove the plug and close the lid. It's simple and it works!

OMG! I should've cleaned the damn thing before I took pictures.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »
My technique uses a plug to divert the hot water back into the reservoir. I monitor the temp, and when it reaches 120°F, I remove the plug and close the lid. It's simple and it works!

The foam piece is from an electrical outlet seal, thus the hole. 8) Use whatever you've got at hand.