Author Topic: Bean cooling - Thinking about a better bucket cooler  (Read 3784 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: Bean cooling - Thinking about a better bucket cooler
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
My smaller setup uses a kitchen hood fan mounted near the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket with a couple of vent holes and a wooden shield.  I have a 20qt stainless steel pot with the bottom cut out and metal screen across the bottom with the rim of a 5 gallon bucket lid so that the steel pot snaps on to the bucket to make a seal.  That fan really hauls, and will cool 24oz of beans to RT in about 30 to 40 seconds with stirring, and blows the chaff out all over the roasting shed (very messy).

My larger setup is a similar pot with a much more coarse screen connected to a 800cfm squirrel cage blower via a cyclone trap.  It sucks the chaff through a 3" duct to the trap, but it is not presently working because I screwed up one of the (jerry-rigged) cyclone connections and most of the chaff goes right through to the blower now.  I hope to get that working again soon, as it also has a valve to suck chaff through a vacuum line from next to my turbocrazies...

I bought a 1200cfm attic fan still sealed in the box for $10 at a thrift store to make a more powerful version of the small setup for the all-stainless 7kg MilkPailRoasterII, but haven't got around to putting that cooler together yet.

It's amazing what a high-powered fan does when smoldering chaff is dumped...  A pretty rare occurrence, but when it happens it can be very exciting!

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
My set up is an old wooden bread box with the bottom of it removed & a layer of screen added. The fan was given to me by my father (very old fan) and talk about wind speed, I have to keep the fan on medium and not on high. The first time I dumped beans with the fan set on high the beans blew right back at me ....my wife stills laughs about it to this day. :-[ At the time it was not funny to me to have 3 pounds of beans all over the driveway. Note scoop for moving beans around to cool: Yup a Tidy Cat litter scoop.  8)

Works great and if I ever get the money to buy some Kopi Luwak, I will be ready to sift the turds out. ;)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:41:46 PM by thcoffee »

Tex

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
My set up is an old wooden bread box with the bottom of it removed & a layer of screen added. The fan was given to me by my father (very old fan) and talk about wind speed, I have to keep the fan on medium and not on high. The first time I dumped beans with the fan set on high the beans blew right back at me ....my wife stills laughs about it to this day. :-[ At the time it was not funny to me to have 3 pounds of beans all over the driveway. Note scoop for moving beans around to cool: Yup a Tidy Cat litter scoop.  8)

Works great and if I ever get the money to buy some Kopi Luwak, I will be ready to sift the turds out. ;)

Your cat doesn't mind sharing its pooper scooper? >:D

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »

I have to bring it back to her clean with no chaff :angel: I'm still trying to get her to eat green coffee beans to see if I can come up with own Kopi Luwak & she wants no part of it  >:D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:37:51 PM by thcoffee »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
I gave up on the bucket suction cool system when I went to sub 2# batches.

I can cool 1# of beans very quickly with the system I use now.

I used cool a lb or so of beans within about 20 secs to less than room temp buy just spreading the coffee on an aluminum cookie sheet (old school really thick) and laying it on a shaded piece of concrete, maybe stir once or twice it was instantly cool.

[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »

I used cool a lb or so of beans within about 20 secs to less than room temp buy just spreading the coffee on an aluminum cookie sheet (old school really thick) and laying it on a shaded piece of concrete, maybe stir once or twice it was instantly cool.

Heat sink is pretty good stuff.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

JoshInCA

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »
I Haz A Buckit -- Mark III :D

The better bucket cooler -- is in the house.

Took two tries to get it right. Both used a repurposed 4-gallon freebie icing bucket cadged from the local bakery. Scrubbed and sun-dried, it lost the icing smell (thank goodness).

For I Haz A Bucket Mark II (counting I Haz A Buckit Mark I as my vacuum cleaner and double-boiler cooler), I cut a hole in the bottom to fit a small sieve or colander I had lying around, and wired the top to the cage of a $6.50 fan from the local Goodwill.

This version didn't work too well -- took about the same time to cool down a roast as I Haz A Buckit Mark I, maybe more. Probably the main problem was that the sieve was too small, so a pound of beanz made a pretty deep layer, but it couldn't have helped too much that the sieve was also a foot or more from the fan blades.

The second try worked really well. It's too dark for photos (it gets late early these days!) but for anyone who's interested, here's how to make your own brainy and scientific I Haz A Buckit Mark III.

Make a flat-bottom sieve by sawing off the bottom four inches or so of a 4-gallon icing bucket and cutting a hole in the bottom about 9-3/4" in diameter, leaving about a 3/4" rim. (The plastic these buckets are made of cuts pretty easily.) Get a 10" pizza screen (I bought mine from a cooking supply store) and zip-tie it in place (the plastic drills really easily too).

Zip-tie the upper part of the bucket back onto the fan cage. Fit the sieve into the upper part. This should leave the bottom of the sieve (the pizza screen part) about 6" or so from the fan cage.

And that's that -- ready to cool some beanz.

If you use a different-size bucket you'll want a different-size screen, and you may need to make the sieve a different depth. The reason I made a four-inch deep sieve was that it fits nicely into the remaining part of the bucket. Too much deeper a sieve might leave the remaining part of the bucket wide enough that the sieve would fall in or not fit right. (I'm not sure how to describe this better, but basically I guesstimated from the taper of the bucket where to cut it so that the 10.5" bottom would fit an inch or two into the remaining part. Turned out 4" was about right.)

My first 1#+ roast cooled down to ambient temps in under a minute with the fan on its high speed. This represents a huge improvement over I Haz A Buckit Mark I and I Haz A Buckit Mark II. Feeling how strongly and rapidly the heat was blown up out of the bean mass was really surprising. I used a wooden spatula to stir for the first 30 seconds or so; after that the beanz were cool enough to move around with my bare hands.

Total cost was about $6.50 for the fan and $3 or $4 for the pizza screen. For a circle-cutter I highly recommend one of those freebie paint-stirrers and a couple of screws ... one to hold it in place in the center of the bucket's base, and one to do the cutting. It doesn't take long to get a deep enough cut that you can finish it off pretty cleanly with a utility knife. The bucket itself was a freebie, the bakery folks were not only willing to give it to me, they asked me if by any chance I wanted more of 'em. Buckets and lids. Various sizes. Bakery people are nice. :)

That got me thinking ... these are food-grade 4-gallon buckets, and depending on how well the lids fit (they seem to fit pretty well!) they might do for beanz storage. After getting rid of the icing smell, of course.

And ... that's the rest of the story.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:54:18 PM by JoshInCA »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »
Here's my cooler design. (Yeah I know... tube = tub.) 
The amount of beans it will cool pretty much instantly is only limited by the size of the leaf blower.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:12:45 AM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
I got around to making my leaf blower in a tub cooler today. I set the blower on low and it cooled a pound of beans in about 20 seconds.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 06:06:33 AM »
Good job, old chap!

How much of the 16x12 screen was covered by the beans?

The reason I ask is because most bean coolers I've seen (and made) are too large, and what happens is that air takes the path of least resistance and when there are open spaces of screen air is drawn through that rather than through the beans.

20sec. though...  that's fast!

You did know that you can cool beans too fast, and that retards flavor development, didn't you?   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
You're pulling my leg... I think?

I'd have to measure it again, but I ended making the screen box a little smaller than 12 by 16. It's of a size that 18 ounces (green weight) of beans covered the bottom at least a couple of layers deep.