Author Topic: UV filter at brewing temp?!?!  (Read 898 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
UV filter at brewing temp?!?!
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »
I saw this at the last job I was on... hooked to house water... UV filter.... cold and hot water on tap...

http://www.innowave.com/viewdoc.asp?co_id=1794

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:39:59 PM by J.Jirehs Roaster »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: UV filter at brewing temp?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
Well... most recommendations are that you heat stuff to 180 degrees to kill bacteria.  WE  brew at 185 and up so should be safe but remember, many of the store bought coffee pots do not heat up that high, as some only may hit in the 160 range, so therefore some bacteria may survive.  The UV would take care of that.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »
Well... most recommendations are that you heat stuff to 180 degrees to kill bacteria.  WE  brew at 185 and up so should be safe but remember, many of the store bought coffee pots do not heat up that high, as some only may hit in the 160 range, so therefore some bacteria may survive.  The UV would take care of that.

Aaron

if you look close the hot temp reading is 202F the cool on this one was 50F but another one was 43F

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
maybe the UV is for the cold side then, or it all gets uv treatment before being heated or cooled?  Hard to say but yah for the hot, a bit of overkill Id say.  Chemicals would be more bothersome at that point not critters.  But on that, arent there some critters, some ameoba's or some kind of parasite that can stand 180 F???  I think I remember something about that somewhere, in which case the uv would kill  them where the temp may not.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »
I was not so intrigued by the specific filtering process as I was with the thought of a relatively small system that will dispense cool or coffee brewing hot water on demand..

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
I have a buddy that installs these things in office buildings (not that exact brand but chiller/insta-hot RO and UV systems)  and he tells me they are a maintenance nightmare.

I can get any specific info on them you want if you think of anything.....  

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:00:05 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
I have one of those water cooler things that take the smaller jug on top in my upstairs bathroom.  it lasted about six months before it wasn't really getting the water too cold anymore.  The hot was beautiful it'd darn near boil the water before it clicked the ready light on.  right about 200 to 205 degrees,   Id click the button, hop in the shower, when i got out the water was perfect for my swissgold one cupper of coffee, have hot coffee waiting for me.   Besides for the UV which the bulbs generally have to be replaced once or twice a year, (they do wear out, not burn out, but the spectrum changes and they don't do their job anymore) and are expensive, the peltier junction which most have for the cooling element, which can be VERY sensitive to electric problems, spikes surges etc, then it can start leaking after a while, the rubber hoses start cracking etc.  Not to mention you do have to thoroughly clean them every so often or they get that lovely slippery slime in them. 

Aaron