Author Topic: Bought an espresso machine & the rotary pump is kaput?  (Read 1051 times)

Tex

Bought an espresso machine & the rotary pump is kaput?
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
Don't Panic: I use this company to rebuild broken Procon rotary pumps and they charge ~$50 to rebuild them to new specs.

JC Beverage Company

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Bought an espresso machine & the rotary pump is kaput?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:04:27 AM »
Wow ... that beats the heck out of buying a new one.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Looks like they do Fluid-o-tech pumps, too.  I've been using a place in Sacramento for about the same price (EDCO) - does anyone have any experience with the durability of rebuilds from different vendors?  While all of these guys offer a 1 year warranty, I would bet that it could be difficult to collect (e.g., was it the rebuild or the reinstallation process that killed it?).

Tex

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »
I put one in a NS Mac Digit 2-grp 3+ years ago and the last I heard it was still going strong in a commercial environment. The guys sure liked the $45 price tag over the $249 new pump from their friendly NS service man.

The place I linked to says they use all new ProCon internals, so I expect them to last as long as news pumps.

Refurbishing Process

We completely disassemble the pump, clean the rotor, glassbead the housing and replace  the internal components with genuine factory parts.  The pumps are reassembled and tested for flow, bypass pressure and checked for leaks.  Your rebuilt pump will perform as new.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:49:41 PM by Tex »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »
EDCO does precisely the same thing - all Procon parts, factory authorized repair with testing.  You've got three choices, they will rebuild your pump, or they will sell you a rebuild, or they will sell you a new pump.  For the S1 La Spaz the prices are $45 to rebuild, $135 for a rebuilt pump (if you don't have a core), or $185 for a new one (at least that's what they were back in February).  They will also let you trade up/lateral in some cases - if you send them a pump you can get a discount on a rebuild of a different type.  I'm going to be doing that because I have a 100gph pump that I don't need, and could really use a backup 15 or 25gph pump. 

I have rebuilt several rotary vane pump heads myself, and it really is not too difficult if you have a factory rebuild kit and a sonicator of some sort.  One thing is for certain, a fluid rotary vane pump is more difficult to rebuild than a vacuum rotary vane pump...

BTW- I had originally put my 100gph pump in the La Spaz as an emergency replacement.  You definitely want the right pump for the right job, though.  I had so much water running out the expansion valve it was like I was pulling 5 shots at once.  That murders your heat stability...  I was able to get nice looking shots, but they were inevitably on the sour side.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
DO you have an EDCO link?

ButtWhiskers