Author Topic: Vintage Vac Pot Love: Sunbeam C20B  (Read 2905 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Vintage Vac Pot Love: Sunbeam C20B
« on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:18 PM »
Couple months back I scored a Sunbeam C20B on Ebay for almost nothing, $10.49 plus shipping to be exact. It was listed as "showing normal signs of wear" but when it arrived at my door it was in near mint condition.

This was my first Sunbeam vac pot and it was also my first electric/automatic vac pot. All is has is a high and low switch. When you want to brew a pot of coffee you simply flip the switch to high and it automatically heats the water (I still use preheated water to speed up the process), steeps the slurry for a couple of minutes, and the automatically switches to the low setting which initiates the draw down and also keeps the coffee warm. Brews a great cup of coffee. Supposedly the C20 has an adjustable thermostat, but I've not started experimenting with temp adjustment just yet.

The are several variations on the Sunbeam automatics: C20x, C30x, V40x, and the C50X. I raise the question of Sunbeam model variations on the vacuumcoffeepotcollector Yahoo group and got a great response that may help anyone else looking to pick up one of these vintage vac pots.

Quote from: Gary Henderson
The differences between these units parallel the differences between vac
pots in general in that much revolves around the filter and the gasket. The
Sunbeams also have the added dimension of variation in the automated heating
arrangement.

Early models, the 20 and the 30a I believe, used a cloth filter. The later
models have variations of a very fine mesh SS disc. I have only used this metal
filter which is very effective. People today use cotton muslin cutouts,
contemporary Yama filters, or other cloths for filtration on the early ones.

The 20 requires you to screw down the filter assembly and unscrew it after
brewing. The tradeoff for this relative inconvenience is that the gasket is more
durable and reliable than the later C30. The C30 has a simple, quick
spring-loaded hook to secure the filter, but the gasket is designed to hold onto
the pot by itsself, without the aid of the screwed down filter rod. This gasket
can harden, rendering the pot unusable - not so with the 20. The 20 also
requires you to use a pot holder to remover the top pot, since there is no
handle.

The 30 and I believe the 20 also have adjustable thermostat set points, a
big advantage.

The model 40, as I learned here, is a model 30 with an aluminum top vessel,
sold for reasons of economy.

I am the least familiar with the 50. I believe it lacks the earlier models
adjustability. The gasket has similar longevity to the 20.

A more rare varient is the "beehive", which is a model 30 with a glass top
vessel.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Vintage Vac Pot Love: Sunbeam C20B
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
Nice score headchange ... and an awesome brewing method.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
Jason, you have slipped over the edge.  I tried reaching for you but you were already too far gone <grins>.  I am sticking with filters.

Nice.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
I found the same vac pot at goodwill a month of two ago and jumped on it for almost nothing. You will probably all be beside yourselves with this question, but how do you take the two pots apart? The most logical in my mind would be that they screw together and apart, but I have spun that thing in both directions and and stumped. Also, what do you use filter wise on these?

garybt3

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
I found the same vac pot at goodwill a month of two ago and jumped on it for almost nothing. You will probably all be beside yourselves with this question, but how do you take the two pots apart? The most logical in my mind would be that they screw together and apart, but I have spun that thing in both directions and and stumped. Also, what do you use filter wise on these?

The 2 globes are probably stuck together...The gasket is stuck to (probably) the top globe and spins freely on the bottom one. Use caution, and maybe a drop of soapy dishwater. Hold the lower globe with one hand, and use your thumbs to exert extreme pressure without prejudice...should pop apart.

I have 4 or 5 of them ;-) 3 work great...the gasket is what wears out on them chrome bowling balls. :o If you have a leaky gasket, you can try using a latex glove ( I suppose a non-latex one would work to) and cut off about 3 inches from the wrist making a large rubber band. Slip that over the old gasket, and adjust it ensuring a good fit. Finding good gaskets for the Cory chrome globes is like the holy grail search....

Temp adjustment is under the cover in the base unit. You need to try it a few times as it's set (assuming someone used it in the old days and it more than likely worked fine).

Have fun,
Gary

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »

The filter stem screws the 2 halves together on my pot. It goes down through the stem of the top pot and screws on to a threaded post in the bottom pot. That may be what's holding the unit together. The Yama cloth filters fit on the stock filter holder.

BTW,

There is a guy in the Yahoo group that is selling replacement gaskets for the C30's. A more reliable gasket is one reason I opted for the C20.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:51 AM »
Jason, you have slipped over the edge.  I tried reaching for you but you were already too far gone <grins>.  I am sticking with filters.

Nice.

B|Java

Yeah I know. :-\ Cue the Wile Coyote falling over a cliff sound effects.

I have about 11 vac pots ATM. Honestly there are only one or two more vintage pots I would like to pick up and then my collection will be good...for a while at least.

BTW, my favorite filter, the Dutch Vaculator filter, broke the other day. I had become very fond of that filter. It works as well as the glass filter rods, but doesn't have that stem sticking up in the middle of the funnel.

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »

BTW, my favorite filter, the Dutch Vaculator filter, broke the other day. I had become very fond of that filter. It works as well as the glass filter rods, but doesn't have that stem sticking up in the middle of the funnel.

<Camera pans to B|Java, hands in pockets, innocently whistling>