Author Topic: A good single cup pour over?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: A good single cup pour over?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
My cleaver drippers at home and work have replaced other brewed coffee devices for 90% of our non-espresso coffee needs.  We use a Pino kettle which keeps the water at just the right tepmerature for brewing.

I like my Cleaver too.  ;D  But since Andrew says he won't use plastic, couldn't offer that endorsement.  The Clever is the bomb tho'.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Take your pick, but the one I use is the cheapo Melitta cone. Why do you eschew plastic?

In an ever-increasingly plastic world, I try to use as little as possible, especially in the kitchen. Its just tacky and gross to me.

I love wood, glass, and corduroy; I guess I'm just old school when it comes to my materials.

I'm on it.

Two venture capitalists have already turned down the project, though. Damn.

gotnoname19

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
So is that all it it? A cup with an edge with holes in the bottom? Does it have a hole somewhere to let oxygen out of the cup?

I'm interested in having a local ceramics person make me one, maybe with my company name on it.

Tex

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
I'm looking for a good, non-plastic single cup pour over. Anybody know where I can get one?

I am with you.  I avoid plastic just because I can.  Detest the stuff because it is a metaphor for our culture.  Love porcelain, ceramic.

Milo is right.  Look at the Bee House set-up at Clive Coffee (or the auction, week 3?) or grab a Hario (some week as well).  But be advised, Susan has a bulls-eye on that Hario and you may fade in her dust.

Note:  My Hario takes about 5% more coffee for same volume of water if that is an issue for you.

B|AnythingButPlastic

So you're one of those folks who're overloading our landfills with broken ceramics & pottery, while my plastic Melitta has an expected usable lifespan of forever!

Tree huggers should love plastic! >:D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
This is my biggest problem with this group, you are alway two steps ahead.  Back in March they started talking espresso, I got a Silva, Then all Vac Pot, so I gat a vac pot, my wife is starting to make fun of me already.  Then you convinced me I needed something that looks like it came from the doctors office to make coffee, wonder were it is now? Then the Clever Coffee Dipper was the best, Now is Harrio with a special kettle.  So what will it  be best next month?  I am a toy kind of guy but you dudes blow past me, my wife really makes fun of me now. ;D

Don't worry Ringo ... opinion on what is best is as varied as the personalities here.  What is groovy today is not so groovy tomorrow.  

In the end you do what turns  your crank and the heck with what everyone else thinks.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
So you're one of those folks who're overloading our landfills with broken ceramics & pottery, while my plastic Melitta has an expected usable lifespan of forever!

I wouldn't be too trusting of that plastic ... with the leaching of it and all.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

;)

True, some plastics should be avoided. Are you trusting that all that Chinese made ceramic & pottery is lead free, or isn't made with industrial waste?

Tex

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:12 AM »
This is my biggest problem with this group, you are alway two steps ahead.  Back in March they started talking espresso, I got a Silva, Then all Vac Pot, so I gat a vac pot, my wife is starting to make fun of me already.  Then you convinced me I needed something that looks like it came from the doctors office to make coffee, wonder were it is now? Then the Clever Coffee Dipper was the best, Now is Harrio with a special kettle.  So what will it  be best next month?  I am a toy kind of guy but you dudes blow past me, my wife really makes fun of me now. ;D

Don't worry Ringo ... opinion on what is best is as varied as the personalities here.  What is groovy today is not so groovy tomorrow.  

In the end you do what turns  your crank and the heck with what everyone else thinks.

;)

Opinions are like a$$e$; we've all got them and some don't hesitate in displaying them. >:D

gotnoname19

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

;)

True, some plastics should be avoided. Are you trusting that all that Chinese made ceramic & pottery is lead free, or isn't made with industrial waste?

Yeah, I make sure all of my stuff is clean. And I never break anything, so..................

No, seriously though, I try not to use a lot of plastic just because I hate it. On the environmental side of things (this is my degree), plastic might last for a while, but it eventually ends up in a landfill. Clay can go back into the earth without a problem. But the MAJOR environmental problems with plastic are: the materials used to make it, and the fossil fuels burned in its production. Buy local ceramic!!!!

Oh yeah, and plastic also gives you cancer  ;)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »

Worse, the ceramics need a lot of heat in a kiln. All of that carbon goes into the air. Plastics use heat, too -- but at least some of the carbon is in the product, and will end up nicely sequestered in a landfill. Plus, since it relies on petroleum for raw products, purchase of such products hastens the day when we'll no longer use such material because we'll be all out of it.

It's a win/win scenario!     ;D

Tex

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »

Worse, the ceramics need a lot of heat in a kiln. All of that carbon goes into the air. Plastics use heat, too -- but at least some of the carbon is in the product, and will end up nicely sequestered in a landfill. Plus, since it relies on petroleum for raw products, purchase of such products hastens the day when we'll no longer use such material because we'll be all out of it.

It's a win/win scenario!     ;D

Do you think the artisan's kilns are causing global warming? :-X  I'm pretty sure they operate at a much higher temp than an injection mold. ???

Wow, I hadn't thought of that! :o

gotnoname19

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
My bad, buy Chinese plastics, boycott local ceramics.

JmanEspresso

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
When it comes to the pourover, my personal thought is that, everyone should have two pourover cones.

A Hario V60
A Classic Style

The classic style can be as simple as the plastic, "Ready-Set-Joe" from the supermarket, or a nice Beehouse(my choice), with optional porcelain carafe.  Whatever, don't matter.  I bought the Beehouse which can accept the #2 or #4 filters, and I use the #2's.

Then of course, the Hario V60.  Still a pourover, but the cup it yields is different from a traditional pourover.  Im a fan of the 02 size, because, its still small enough to brew a small 8oz cup, but large enough to brew about an 18oz-20oz cup as well.  I generally drink my brewed coffee out of those "Diner" style mugs offered by many of the artisan roasters.

Pourovers are cheap enough and small enough, that having two of them, is still cheap and wont take up much room.  But, if I could only have one.. Id probably take the Hario.  Every coffee enthusiast should have a Hario V60 Dripper.

*Oh, and along with the Hario cone, pick up one of the Decanters to do your brewing into.

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
*Oh, and along with the Hario cone, pick up one of the Decanters to do your brewing into.

I will, with the gift certificate I am going to win in the Coffee Kids auction.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

I will, with the gift certificate I am going to win in the Coffee Kids auction.

B|Java

Save your strength, you don't want to fade out like last year...