Author Topic: Used IRoast2 vs. used Fresh Roast SR 500  (Read 848 times)

sauerkraut

Used IRoast2 vs. used Fresh Roast SR 500
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
So I have an opportunity to upgrade from my air popper. There's a used IRoast2 for sale and also a Fresh Roast SR500 at the same price. Both sellers say the machines were operated only a few times. In the case of the SR 500, that's more likely given the fact it's a relatively new machine.

The asking price is approx 60% of a new machine.

All things being equal, if you had the choice, would you choose one over the other?   

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Used IRoast2 vs. used Fresh Roast SR 500
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:09:38 PM »
That is a tough call.

Those who have an I-Roast really like them. 

The old Fresh Roast had their limitations in that only 1 fan speed and one temperature which has now been addressed.  They are a pretty sturdy unit and I have had mine for about 3.5 years without too much problems and no parts have been replaced.

The I-Roast has some more profiling features from what I understand but I hear that the parts need to be replaced after a certain time.  It may be more tweak able while you own it at the cost of replacement parts.

If your bottom line is economy of cost ... FR may be the better choice.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

sauerkraut

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »
well I dickered with the seller and got what I think is a reasonable price (half the cost of a new one), so I went with the SR500. I read some of the Iroast2 reviews on coffeegeek.com and the noise level complaints got me to jump off the fence in favour of the FR.     

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »
Good for you. 

Give us feedback on how it does the job for you.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

roastingnerd

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
i have been using I-Roasts for almost 3 years now.  Wore out the 1 and am using a 2.  I believe they are really not repairable.  You can just replace the entire heating section when it gives out.  The problem with them is components that really can't stand heat.  That's how I broke the 1.  Too many roasts in one day.  Something said uncle and I was stuck.  I think if they really wanted to they could sell parts that fiz the problem, but they don't.  My first one lasted 2 years and I'm just hoping I can get that much or more from my 2.  The vent system is great, and I can live with their method of control because it is pretty consistent.  You don't really know what temps are involved but if you catch on to roasting profiles that work for you, you can stay in good territory  and make minor adjustments to suit your taste.