Author Topic: does anyone backflush their Gaggia Classic?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
does anyone backflush their Gaggia Classic?
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »

Does anyone backflush their Gaggia Classic . I  did backflush this morning, this is the first time with this machine, since I have had it (Dec 09). I do clean regular like it is recommended but this is the first time I have backflush the machine.

Is there any harm in doing this twice a year or should I just keep cleaning like Gaggia has recommended.

I was pleased with the results of the backflush and it was good to be able to sit down and enjoy a cup of espresso this morning.Better than any espresso I can buy around my town :)

Gime2much

Re: does anyone backflush their Gaggia Classic?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »
I back flush a Baby Classic every day it's used and once a week with detergent.

Dan

CAGurl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
Yup....sure do....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

Does anyone backflush their Gaggia Classic . I  did backflush this morning, this is the first time with this machine, since I have had it (Dec 09). I do clean regular like it is recommended but this is the first time I have backflush the machine.

Is there any harm in doing this twice a year or should I just keep cleaning like Gaggia has recommended.

I was pleased with the results of the backflush and it was good to be able to sit down and enjoy a cup of espresso this morning.Better than any espresso I can buy around my town :)

Nah, don't bother backflushing any 3-way valve equipped machine. We worked really hard building up that layer of last years (or the year before that) coffee crud just to improve the taste of the coffee we make today. >:D

Seriously, think about what you're implying: A dirty machine is preferable to a clean machine. Do you really believe that or did you just not think it through? :-X

Maybe you're an ol' shooter like me; we used to put five rounds through a clean barrel before we'd shoot for record. That way each successive round would behave exactly as the previous ones had. That worked well for M14's and M1911 pistols, but I'm not sure it'd work to anyone's advantage in an espresso machine! ???

Read this: http://home.earthlink.net/~r_harmon/Gaggia%20maintenence.htm#Backflushing
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:43:55 AM by Tex »

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
Thanks Tex, that's why I asked. I was told by WLL that Gaggia did not recommend a backflush on the Classic. I did  the weekly cleaning  that was recommended with the machine & I wanted  to find out if anyone did backflush their Classic. I will backflush and sin no more...thanks

I have to be honest with you my Classic is Cleaner than my 1911A1.

which I never clean :angel:

;D

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:34 PM »
Thanks Tex, that's why I asked. I was told by WLL that Gaggia did not recommend a backflush on the Classic. I did  the weekly cleaning  that was recommended with the machine & I wanted  to find out if anyone did backflush their Classic. I will backflush and sin no more...thanks

I have to be honest with you my Classic is Cleaner than my 1911A1.

which I never clean :angel:

;D

To put it as kindly as I can: their tech/sales teams either lies or they're totally ignorant of the machines they sell - maybe both? Buy your machine from them, then go elsewhere for factual information about it!