Author Topic: Better late than never--first Turbocrazy roasts  (Read 1972 times)

cfsheridan

Better late than never--first Turbocrazy roasts
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
After having the parts for more than 5 months....

I fired up my first turbocrazy today.

First three roasts were with an old Galloping Gourmet I had picked up from someone.  I dumped the first roast--too fast, got to 1st crack in ~6 minutes or so.

I got better control after a bit, then switched to the Supentown SO-2000, even putting it on the variac for the last four
roasts.

I can see why folks like it--decent control (I still don't have a thermometer installed), and great capacity.  Settled into about a 15-16 minute, FC roast with about 4-5 minutes from the start of a good 1st crack to end of roast.  I still do not have the aluminum attached to the side--but it is set up like Peter's, where I can push in a section to release chaff.

It will not replace my hottop, especially for sample roasting, but it's definitely a good weapon in the arsenal for Roasting for the Troops.  Five pounds, in a little over 2 hours.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Better late than never--first Turbocrazy roasts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
I dismissed it straight away as a goofy idea the first time I saw it.

One day I tried it.

It's still my current roaster today.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
I dismissed it straight away as a goofy idea the first time I saw it.

One day I tried it.

It's still my current roaster today.

+1

And I recommend it to everyone as the BEST/CHEAPEST way to get started home roasting in volume!

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
I have done over 1000 19oz roasts in my StirCrazy/Convection Oven roaster in the past 6 years. I typically do 6 to 10 roasts back-to-back in a session, only waiting about 2-3 minutes between roasts while the fan cools my beans. Only in the last 2 roasting sessions have I noticed a problem with the StirCrazy - the motor must have a gear tooth missing or something so now the bail still moves but now more like a pulsing movement. I have a backup unit, but I'll wait until this one gives up the ghost. I love this little cobbled roaster!

Anyone know if a replacement motor is available?
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
I have done over 1000 19oz roasts in my StirCrazy/Convection Oven roaster in the past 6 years. I typically do 6 to 10 roasts back-to-back in a session,
That's why I have a 2 kilo roaster.  I was spending way too much time roasting

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:21:19 AM »
I have done over 1000 19oz roasts in my StirCrazy/Convection Oven roaster in the past 6 years. I typically do 6 to 10 roasts back-to-back in a session,

There's a Deidrich HR-1 on Craig's List in Dallas for $3000. Getting bored with the Ambex yet?

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »

There's a Deidrich HR-1 on Craig's List in Dallas for $3000. Getting bored with the Ambex yet?
HR-1 is electric (I think) I've not heard good things about it.

CAGurl

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »

I got better control after a bit, then switched to the Supentown SO-2000, even putting it on the variac for the last four
roasts.

Chad, in your opinion, would the purchase of a variac for this particular and only application be worth the investment?  
I guess what I'm wondering is if you think it's a luxury or a necessity????

Susan

Tex

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

110v at that! I wonder how many amps it pulls to roast a full pound?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
I have done over 1000 19oz roasts in my StirCrazy/Convection Oven roaster in the past 6 years. I typically do 6 to 10 roasts back-to-back in a session, only waiting about 2-3 minutes between roasts while the fan cools my beans. Only in the last 2 roasting sessions have I noticed a problem with the StirCrazy - the motor must have a gear tooth missing or something so now the bail still moves but now more like a pulsing movement. I have a backup unit, but I'll wait until this one gives up the ghost. I love this little cobbled roaster!

Anyone know if a replacement motor is available?

I have a SC motor for you.  PM me, if you'd like.

If you're doing that many roasts, and have the space, you may want to think about using two of these roasters simultaneously.  You just get in a rhythm; start one and once that one is at 350 for caramelization, start the next one; that one finishes just when the next one is hitting 350...    very simple, halves the time, doubles the output.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »

roasts.

Chad, in your opinion, would the purchase of a variac for this particular and only application be worth the investment?  
I guess what I'm wondering is if you think it's a luxury or a necessity????

Susan

I don't see the advantage of the variac in the SC/TO... I did separate my fan and heat on the TO so the fan is on all the time and lifting the handle or a relay on a PID can turn on and off the heat..

cfsheridan

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
Variac does have better control vs. binary control (ON/OFF), IMO.

I don't think it's as huge a difference for the SC/TO, but it just felt right when I did it.  Of course, that could be old muscle memory from a couple hundred Poppery I with variac roasts a few years ago, too.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

110v at that! I wonder how many amps it pulls to roast a full pound?

They are asking $2,500 for the 1lb Diedrich now.