Author Topic: TostaCaffe Roasters  (Read 4462 times)

moreyr

Re: TostaCaffe Roasters
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
OMG, i meant "the box was very poorly handled by UPS

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:23 AM »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 08:39:45 AM »
10 lbs with 4000 watts in under 20 min? Sounds like a stretch to me.

I also can't imagine adequately cooling 10 lbs of beans... or 7 for that matter, inside the electric roaster. The bulbs and heating elements also need to cool off. 3 min does not sound like reality either.

How easy / possible is it to dump the beans into an external cooler at EOR when everything is still hot?

Very interested in hearing how this turns out. Video would be good too!
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

I tried several times directly asking the dude when he stopped by here.....I don't think I ever got a straight answer. :-X

I'm looking very forward to learning from a GCBC'er what the thing can ACTUALLY do.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »

I also can't imagine adequately cooling 10 lbs of beans... or 7 for that matter, inside the electric roaster. The bulbs and heating elements also need to cool off. 3 min does not sound like reality either.

How easy / possible is it to dump the beans into an external cooler at EOR when everything is still hot?

It is a stretch. It won't. In an e-mail exchange I was told 30-40 minutes to Full City for a full load.

The cooling isn't done in the roaster (unlike a Behmor). The coffee is dumped immediately at roast completion for cooling.

Jim
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

Offline 7over

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
I was told 30-40 minutes to Full City for a full load.

Now THAT's stretching it!

(the roast that is)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »

(the roast that is)

Lets see you do that with the RoastMaster 5000!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline 7over

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »

(the roast that is)

Lets see you do that with the RoastMaster 5000!

That's the "Bean Master 5000" to you sir!... just because I could do that does not at all mean that I should!

By the way, that FTO Sumatran Mandheling Supreme Royal Select Decaf is one outstanding decaf! (I can't believe I just juxtaposed 'outstanding' and 'decaf')   ???

gotnoname19

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »

Speaking of power requirements for roasting, I've roasted 500+ of pounds of coffee on my Ambex YM-5, and I've only gone through 1.5 gallons of propane, and my power bill hasn't gone up from $30/month. Its crazy!!!! The gas guy was here yesterday; he couldn't believe that the tank would only take 1.5 to refill. He went through a bunch of tests to make sure there wasn't something goofy going on. And it turns out, it legitimately only took 1.5 to fill  ;D ;D ;D

Offline 7over

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »
and my power bill hasn't gone up from $30/month.

hmmm..... 500 lbs ... over what period of time? Have you calculated how many amp hours you were consuming prior to hooking up your Ambex vs how many you're consuming now? How much do you pay for power in Brooktondale, NY?

Pete

gotnoname19

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
and my power bill hasn't gone up from $30/month.

hmmm..... 500 lbs ... over what period of time? Have you calculated how many amp hours you were consuming prior to hooking up your Ambex vs how many you're consuming now? How much do you pay for power in Brooktondale, NY?

Pete

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't figured it out. Our bill was around $30 before I started roasting, and it has been in this same range since.

Offline Dregs

• Standard User
  • Better, not bitter.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
Hey moreyr,

Just wanted to circle back on this thread to ask whether the next chapter of the story is available yet.  Were you able to get your unit repaired?  Is it working up to your expectations? 

Any comments for those of us considering this, or other models from the same manufacturer, would be much appreciated.

Dregs

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
Any update?

I've been trying to get confirmation on this thing for a few years and with a GCBC'er getting one I figured we were close to knowing for sure what it can/can not do.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

moreyr

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »
Forgive my delay in responding but I have been burning the torch at both ends, so to speak. 
OK, here is the update.  I sent the unit back to him and he had it back to me the following week, repaired and operational.  I started doing 4-5 lb roast and depending on the what’s, they took between 17 - 26 minutes.  What I got in those roasts was nothing short of FIRST CLASS.
I came home after a long day at work and decided (wrongly) to try my first 10 lb roast.  I put in what I thought was a 10lb bag, which I will say after my first bean fire, was 13 lbs. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Yes, that took a long time and the over load and a few other factors made it take near 40 min to get a Spanish, Italian roast.  The funny thing was that even with the fire, I ended up with beans that I could sell.  I found that people who like starebucks just think that burnt is best, aint that a laugh.  As I watched the temp reading on my probe, move slowly up, opened the door to have a closer look ( it was already dark out, night time, roasting outside)  The temp was 405 and man this batch was active.  The moment I opened the door, lots of smoke and wooooosssshshhhhh  FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in the house, lol.  I was calm and took my water hose and lightly hit the beans.  The fire went right out.  I removed the drum, I use oven glove and put them right into the cooling pan and put the fan on.  Seriously, I thought I made a lot of trash but, in the end, they were fine.  Much to dark for my taste but fine for others.  I lost about 25% so, all in all, a happy ending.
Now, I thought that I would have done damage to the unit, but much to  my surprise, nothing was wrong.   I will continue with more after I do about 50lbs on Sunday.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
I started doing 4-5 lb roast and depending on the what’s, they took between 17 - 26 minutes. 

That tells me (for what I'd be after anyway) ~3#'s would be a reasonable batch size to expect from that machine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee Morrison