Author Topic: Ãœber cool looking infrared hot plate  (Read 1988 times)

Tex

Ãœber cool looking infrared hot plate
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
I was poking around, looking for a hot plate to use with my Silex vac pots, and saw this. I like making coffee at the table when I have guests over, and while the Silex hot plate looks good and does fit the vac pot, I'm not that fond of using electric products made in the early 30's.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:37:18 PM by Tex »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Ãœber cool looking infrared hot plate
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
Quote from: sciencelab.com

This compact ceramic heating burner features an infrared heat source that can be adjusted from ambient to 2012°F (1100°C).

I like it... may be hard to set the temp with that broad range but definitely stylish cordless table top option

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
Might be a better option than the halogen bulbs you see in coffee bars?

Edited: Could also be used to heat water at farmers markets?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:35:04 PM by Tex »

gratefulroast

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »
At that price, it's guaranteed to be a better option. WOW.

Good find Tex!!!! I've been asked to take over managing a cafe I roast for come September, and these things may be just what the doctor ordered.

gratefulroast

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
Fuel capacity is 40 gms (1 to 2 hrs/fill).... I wonder if the Butane refills you get for lighters would work to refill this?

Do I feel a group buy coming on?

Tex

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »
Fuel capacity is 40 gms (1 to 2 hrs/fill).... I wonder if the Butane refills you get for lighters would work to refill this?

And that's their biggest problem - limited fuel supply! I use a butane burner for my Yama tabletop vac put, and these refill cartridges.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

And that's their biggest problem - limited fuel supply! I use a butane burner for my Yama tabletop vac put, and these refill cartridges.

Wow ... $27.00 for a pound of Butane ... isn't that a bit pricey?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »

???

Closer to 2 lbs, but it is pricey! Convenience has its price.

gratefulroast

Re: Über cool looking infrared hot plate
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

... but at a 1 to 2 hour burn span between refills and at an average 5 minutes of heating each brew cycle, you'd still be able to brew at most around 20 vac-pots before a refill.

The refills you linked to each hold 150gr of fuel, which comes down to just under 4 fills, or 75 pots of coffee per canister.. not too daunting, if I may say.

*450 pots @ $27.00 comes down to .06 per pot ... what's the price to run a Bun?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:00:50 PM by gratefulroast »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

???

How so?

On the listing it has 3 canisters ... and it goes on to say "Each canister contains 150 grams of butane".

???
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »

... but at a 1 to 2 hour burn span between refills and at an average 5 minutes of heating each brew cycle, you'd still be able to brew at most around 20 vac-pots before a refill.

The refills you linked to each hold 150gr of fuel, which comes down to just under 4 fills, or 75 pots of coffee per canister.. not too daunting, if I may say.

I use boiling water from my espresso machine boiler (or tea pot), so the butane burner is only maintaining the boil. I'd say it's never on for longer than 3 minutes at a stretch and then only on a low setting.

OT: I've seen idiots using a damp tea towel to increase the pressure on the bottom bowl to prevent stalls. Has anyone ever had a pot shatter doing this?

gratefulroast

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
150gr's x 6 canisters = 900 grs

453 grs in a LB

Tex

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »

???

How so?

On the listing it has 3 canisters ... and it goes on to say "Each canister contains 150 grams of butane".

???

Don't just look at the pictures Mike, read the fine (and not so fine) print - Blazer Butane Refill - 6 canisters. ;D ::)

gratefulroast

Re: Über cool looking infrared hot plate
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
RE: Damp Towel - I do it .. and not yet  ???

*edit: And isn't the towel used to Decrease pressure?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:13:24 PM by gratefulroast »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
150gr's x 6 canisters = 900 grs

453 grs in a LB

I sit corrected ... even though they show 3 ... they list 6.

So that would make it pretty close to 2 pounds.

454 grams to a pound.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

:-[
lp, 7-Ski