Author Topic: Replacing my Vivaldi II for a reservoir machine  (Read 1013 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Replacing my Vivaldi II for a reservoir machine
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
Looking for some advice on a home espresso machine with a water reservoir that would be somewhat comparable to the Vivaldi II that I now have. I used it with a flow jet, but I took a new job in another state and am currently living in an apartment. I will be here for at least a year and have no place for the Vivaldi and a pump...or a roaster :'(

Shep

Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Replacing my Vivaldi II for a reservoir machine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
I hate to post this, since you've already thought about it, or you wouldn't be asking...  but why not the Mini?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
Yes, I have thought about the Mini. Just wondering what other options there are that I might not have thought about. I know I should do my own research, but I'm literally working day and night right now, so I thought I would plug in to this fine resource and see if someone had some experience or knowledge of some other machines, such as the Alex Duetto II, etc. Thanks.

Shep

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
I went for the mini after looking at all the other options. The design is proven and works quite well.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
What is your price range? The Marzocco GS/3 is at the height of pump machines that still have a water reservoir. I will leave the conversation as to whether they are worth the premium or not to people who have owned or do own them because I have no idea. If you know / like the results you get with the Vivaldi, I would likely go with a Mini unless you have the opportunity to try other machines before purchasing. At least you know what you would be getting yourself into.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
Thanks guys. I have no complaints with the Vivaldi. I will be posting mine for sale soon if anyone is interested.

Shep

Offline vberch

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
In addition to what's been said, there is also a La Cimbali Junior S1 and a Wega Mini Nova EVD, both Heat Exchanger machines.  I am excluding all the semi-commercial E61 clones as it doesn't look like that's what you are looking for.

I have a La Cimbali and it has a pretty unique feature set (if these things are important to you).  It has a stainless steel water reservoir (I can think of only one other machine that has a stainless steel water reservoir, a new Olympia Maximatic, which is not in the same league), boiler water level indicator, manual boiler fill (great for descailing), insulated boiler, Sirai pressurestat, water tank is on top and is not obstructed by cups (you don't have to remove the cups to fill it), it is built like a tank true commercial machine but yet it is a 110V/15A machine.

I had a temporary case of insanity when I wanted to sell it and keep my Quick Mill Anita, but I quickly came to my senses and sold Anita instead.

How about a lever? Have you looked into getting a Bezzera Strega?

Looking for some advice on a home espresso machine with a water reservoir that would be somewhat comparable to the Vivaldi II that I now have. I used it with a flow jet, but I took a new job in another state and am currently living in an apartment. I will be here for at least a year and have no place for the Vivaldi and a pump...or a roaster :'(

Shep
Roasting and having a blast with a US Corp 1-lb Roaster.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:05:50 AM »
I'm also considering the Quick mill QM67 and the Alex Duetto II. I have Always been curious about a lever machine. Never used one though and am honestly a bit ignorant of them.

Shep
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:16:14 AM by shep »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
Bezzera might be a great choice. Lots of growing room. It will operate like a semi auto without the need to use the lever based off the demos I have seen.